Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some RUT help...

Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need some RUT help...

Well, after not being able to hunt my new farm once rifle season began, I have to say I was a little worried. The farmer is doing the right thing though, he doesn't want many bucks taken this year, so he politely told us to just wait til next year.

After having that established, I was a little concerned about having a "good" spot to hunt. There is ONE public land spot I REALLY like. Knowing there is a possibility for GOOD deer to be in the area, I took a buddy with me and we did a little scouting/hunting today, with the .270. I had been up a little too late Saturday night and was running on about 3 hours of sleep. By the time we made the long hike in, I was just looking for a comfortable spot to sit down. I decided to get up early and go meet blake near the spot he was sitting. He had apparently been trying to get a hold of me because he saw some REALLY good sign on his way in. I walked up near him and saw a scrape. This guys is REALLY rare around here, not to mention on PUBLIC land. I looked at the scape closely and saw that there was FRESH deer pee in it. At this point I'm starting to get pumped. I walked 10 more feet, and there was a rub line. Another 15yds and there was ANOTHER super fresh scrape. Then we started finding, TONs, and TONS of rubs. All of this was near a secluded field, well you have to walk through the field to get to it and there were 2 fresh scrapes on the edge of the field, where they have just absolutely RIPPED up the ground. This deer, and I think it's more than one, but he was absolutely shredding trees. One of the rub lines were all on the same kind of tree.

So my question is, what "stage" of the rut is it when they are tending scrapes. Is this still the "seeking" stage? And in what order do the stages occur.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some RUT help...

Cougars--how big were the scrapes? All in all Cougars I could break some stuff down to you but here goes....HUNT that spot immediatley! Find out if that sign leads into a bedding area and hunt right off of it NOW! If the scrapes are located in a "staging area" or a place where many deer cross to scent check each other then hunt 30-40 yards of those scrapes with your gun or 20 yards off with your bow...downwind. You will see a tremendous amount of action if it is a staging area for crossing bucks. If a lone buck is using it, you may catch him at first light or very shortly there after as he scent checks the area and then beds down. You have to get in early to cut him off. If he somehow gets past you, be patient, he will be watching that staging area possibly from his bed, or will come out in a few hours to scent check again to check for hot does....thats just my take, some probably have others.

shadow
Old 11-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

the biggest scrape was about as big as a table top. The others, were a little smaller.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cougars..hunt 20 yards downwind of that scrape PRONTO!

shadow
Old 11-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well there in lies the problem. I can't hunt it again until Thursday or Friday, that's why I was worrying it might be too late.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't be too late. If you are going to hunt it, make sure you get in early and set up. 1 hour before sun-up. That sounds like a big crossing area and you don't want to bust up any deer in there after sun-up. It won't be too late man, I predict greats things from that set up when you get out there. Make sure you are watching constantly to see where the deer are moving if you don't get a shot at one...that way next time you can re-position your stand if need be...best of luck and I will be interested in your results, pls let me know.

shadow
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will do, I almost want to take the bow, but after all the work it's going to take to get everything perfect, I don't wantmy only chance at a GOOD public land to go down the drain because it'll be out of range. For me, I'd be just as happy taking one with a gun up there just because of the challenge of hunting public land is pretty great to begin with