Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where would you aim?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Where would you aim?

Anyway, on a deer thatis 20 yards out and quartering away at a severe 65 degree angle while you are 30 feet up higher in elevation than that deer, would you aim for an exit hole that isbehind the far shoulder?and why or why not?
No.

Why? Because that isn't the "exit hole" I'd want. I'd want one low on the brisket and forward of the off-side leg.

"Aim for the exit hole" is NOT a hard concept.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

No it's not a hard concept. It's also not a hard concept that every shot equals a different exit hole. What don't you understand about that?

You cannot just tell someone aim for the exit when they are not sure where the exit should be.

Someone told me in this very thread that with all those shots listed that the exit hole should be behind the opposite shoulder. That is misinformation in its purest form! One answer does not fit all. What don't you understand about that.

I'm not asking a difficult question. It's very basic, fundamental, or elementary... Where should I aim for as the exit hole on each of these shots? I don't know how to make it any simpler for you.

Look, I don't wanna talk semantics with anyone. If someone is truly and sincerely interested in answering that simple question directly above for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Dominant Buck

No it's not a hard concept. It's also not a hard concept that every shot equals a different exit hole. What don't you understand about that?
There's nothing I DON'T understand about it.

One answer does not fit all. What don't you understand about that.
Actually....one answer does fit all. AIM FOR THE EXIT HOLE. You just don't want to accept that it's that easy.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hoyt, Jeff is absolutely 100% correct, aim for the exit hole.....all of us understand the exit hole area changes with each angle the deer is at and each elevation we may hunt from but it's still that simple,

AIM FOR THE EXIT HOLE YOU WANT! or AIM FOR WHERE YOU WANT THE EXIT HOLE, or AIM FOR WHERE THE ARROW PASSES THROUGH THE DEER AT SUCH AN ANGLE IT TAKES OUT THE LUNGS OR HEART AND EXITS THE DEER....

simple, aim for the exit hole!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Just for giggles.....

1) from 15yds away and 30ft up, deer broadside -- you're awfully high in the tree.....so you're gonna have to hit high on the deer. I'd AIM FOR THE EXIT HOLE to be just behind the off-side leg and (naturally) low.

2) 15yds away, 30ft up, quartering away at a 45 degree angle (meaning moderately quartered away) -- 45 degrees quartering away is not "moderate". It's pretty severe....and VERY severe from that angle (the angel of the shot.....not the deer). You're gonna need to AIM FOR THE EXIT HOLE to be in front of the off-side leg and (naturally) low.

3)20yds away, 30ft up, quartering away at a 65 degree angle (meaning severely quartered away) -- Previously answered.

4) 8yds away, 20ft up, broadside -- See No. 1

5) 8yds away, 20ft up, quartering away at a 45 degree angle See No. 3

Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I suggest getting a 3d deer target and as was suggested before, stick metal skewers through the target at every angle you can think of making each one pass through a central point just behind the shoulder and just below center up and down. This will help you visualize the entrance AND exit of each and every shot you can think of, so you have a point to aim for the next step. After you have done this, set the target at different angles and practice this same concept. Except use your arrows as the skewer and try to get it to pass as close to that same central point as possible while avoiding the heavy bone of the shoulder.

I can't explain this any clearer. The best way to learn is just get out there and experiment with it and learn yourself.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Replying to the specific scenerios posed is about pointless for me because I don't hunt 30 ft up, and there is no possible way for me to explain in inches regarding a box of where my aim point is. Honestly most times when I shot a deer, I am not even thinking about aiming. I just shoot. Sounds really hap-hazard on paper, but its a process my mind goes thru very quickly and subconciously.

Many of my shots try to pass over the top of the heart when dealing with angles, for both steep in close angles, and deer angled away.The opposite leg aimpont is good for many shots, but themore angle away the more I'drather that exit be inFRONT of theopposite leg based on a buck I shot several years back. 13 yds,18 ft up, angled away. Broke his opposite shoulder...should be deaddeer,quick clean kill. Hardly. It was a single lung/liver that was still alive 2-3+ hours later. Recovered the next morning.

For tight in broadside shots a near lung/heart (or near lung right over the heart) shot is about as deadly as you can get.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeremy3303

I suggest getting a 3d deer target and as was suggested before, stick metal skewers through the target at every angle you can think of making each one pass through a central point just behind the shoulder and just below center up and down. This will help you visualize the entrance AND exit of each and every shot you can think of, so you have a point to aim for the next step. After you have done this, set the target at different angles and practice this same concept. Except use your arrows as the skewer and try to get it to pass as close to that same central point as possible while avoiding the heavy bone of the shoulder.

I can't explain this any clearer. The best way to learn is just get out there and experiment with it and learn yourself.
You don't have to explain it any clearerJeremybecause you can't. That right there is all I need to know. I don't have to aim foran exit holethat I don't even know where it should be to begin with. If I just make every shot pass through as you put it, "a central point just behind the shoulder and just below center up and down" then the shot will be at its most lethal regardless of the angle or grade. With simply that, I don't need to think about wherethe arrow shouldenter or even where "THE EXIT HOLE" should be because I know what I have to pass through to achieve both.

Guys, I know that some of you may be better with your bows than with your keyboards. Obviously I'm not that good with my keyboard either because my post was very difficult to understand by most.

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Many of my shots try to pass over the top of the heart when dealing with angles, for both steep in close angles, and deer angled away.The opposite leg aimpont is good for many shots, but themore angle away the more I'drather that exit be inFRONT of theopposite leg...

For tight in broadside shots a near lung/heart (or near lung right over the heart) shot is about as deadly as you can get.
Thanks rybo, I think what you said and what Jeremy said arepretty muchthe same things. I got it now.

HTH
Old 11-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Dude, did you completely miss my post middle of page 2? Would've saved you a lot of aggravation.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Exactly loogout, apparently he did miss it. I had saw where you had suggested that and that seemed to be the easiest way to explain it and with all the frustration being caused, I figured it would help to repeat. The best way to learn is just get out there and do it, learn for yourself, look at it and figure it out. This stuff isnt that hard, just takes a little common sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.