Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where would you aim?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where would you aim?

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Well I'm not going to try to figure all that out, it's simple,

I aim for the exit hole, hopefully on the knuckle on the opposite shoulder passing through the lungs and heart.
I agree...
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I'd take one lung and heart exiting low in the chest depending, still aiming for the exit hole.
Alright, where is the enterance andwhere is the exit? You say aim for the exit but where is it? Roskoe posted after your previous postand said:

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

This is a pretty tough shot due to the angle and the fact that the distance to thedeer is fairly short. Most folks are going to hit this deer higher than they want. If you aim where rob said, you are probably going to hit higher and wind up hitting the first lung high and far back - hit the second lung low and far forward.
But you're telling me that you'd get one lung plus the heart? I think Roskoe is right but your opinions are very different because Roskoe's opinion doesn't eveninvolve the heart. See what I mean about new bowhunters not being taught right? Don't take that to heart, (no pun intended) butI'm just getting totally different answers here from probably equally experienced guys. A little clarification please. Thank you.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Its so darn hard to explain it on here, in person would be so much easier! Alot of timeson a severe angle your only going to get one lung. Don't take the shot if your not confident about it.
well then why would you tell me to go for the lungs if in that situation I would only get the dreaded "one lung"?

What you guys are doing is giving me a general cookie cutter answer while I'm asking for specifics. And you're not really thinking about the distances and angles I'm asking about before typing.

I really want and respect your guys' experience but all that's happening here is you're confusing me and are even contradicting yourselves from one post to the very next.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Some of those shots have low percentage success rates and personally i would not even want to take them.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Its so darn hard to explain it on here, in person would be so much easier! Alot of timeson a severe angle your only going to get one lung. Don't take the shot if your not confident about it.
well then why would you tell me to go for the lungs if in that situation I would only get the dreaded "one lung"?

What you guys are doing is giving me a general cookie cutter answer while I'm asking for specifics. And you're not really thinking about the distances and angles I'm asking about before typing.

I really want and respect your guys' experience but all that's happening here is you're confusing me and are even contradicting yourselves from one post to the very next.
Didn't you read what I said earlier in the post? Its alot easier to show someone in person then trying totell them onhere!!!! Go to a local sportsman's shop or hunting store and have someone explain to you where to aim on certain shots and when not to shoot on certain angles. It will make alot more sense for you that way! All were trying to do is help you out like you asked! In no way are anyone of us arguing with each other on where to shoot in your examples, just some people look at it a different way for different reasons. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

you're thinking too much. Just aim for the exit hole. And shoot the damn thing.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

This really is not that difficult. One good thing that was mentioned is aim for the exit. Another, and it would help if you have a 3D target, is to take a bunch of shish-kebob skewers and shove them thru that deer at every conceivable angle you think you might attempt a shot at and try and make them all meet just low of center inside the deer and between the 2 shoulder blades. Make sense?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Its a fairly simple concept to know where you need to aim, the tricky part is actually hitting that spot haha.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Best advice I could give you is to not get so high in the tree .....and to make some of those angles lessen. From 30' in a tree.....you're SEVERELY handcuffing yourself on what should be "chip shots". You're your own worst enemy.

Look down at the deer......and imagine the path the arrow is going to take THROUGH the animal. Then do as everyone else has been telling you. Aim for the exit hole. Nobody's making this hard, but you.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Best advice I could give you is to not get so high in the tree .....and to make some of those angles lessen. From 30' in a tree.....you're SEVERELY handcuffing yourself on what should be "chip shots". You're your own worst enemy.
I don't ever climb more than about 18ft. The reason I listed some scenarios at 30' is because one of my trees is inthe valley oftwo side by side ridges and that tree is 15 horizontal yds from the valley bottom but is 3 yds higher than the valley bottom where the deer come through.

Look down at the deer......and imagine the path the arrow is going to take THROUGH the animal. Then do as everyone else has been telling you. Aim for the exit hole.
This probably don't tell you nothingbut that don't tell me nothing. In each of the shotsI listed, the exit hole location is different. My question and I don't understand why nobody understands this is... Whereshould that exit hole be for each shot listed? Enterance has got this all jammed up so how about forget that and just tell me where the exit should be? I'll draw a straight line and figure out how to get there.

Nobody's making this hard, but you.
Then you obviously did not read the responses. One guy told me one thing and another guy told me another thing. Then one of those 2 guys told me that the reason he told me to aim for the wrong vitals was because "it's hard to explain online." That is not a justifiable reason for why you gave someone misinformation. The real reason why the wrong answer was given was because the shot scenario was not even visualized to begin with like was asked. Why give an answer if you don't even really think about the question?

You tell me Jeff, since I've read many of your posts and you seem to know your left from your right and your north from your south and are pretty good with the language (I don't mean to patronizeby this statement, take it literally)... Anyway, on a deer thatis 20 yards out and quartering away at a severe 65 degree angle while you are 30 feet up higher in elevation than that deer, would you aim for an exit hole that isbehind the far shoulder?and why or why not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.