Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blinds

Old 11-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Ground Blinds

Ive had an issue with my tree stand, its old and its biting into the tree like it should anymore.

I added a ratchet strap to no avail. I still had to climb out of my stand yesterday and back up against a large gnarled tree to break up my outline, or fall. I chose the former.

Regardless Im a working class Joe like the majority of us on here. So Im seriously considering a good quality ground blind. Anybody bow hunting out of a ground blind? Im in the woods from Oct through Jan. So I hunt both seasons pretty hard.

If you do use one or have experience with one, whats your thoughts? Things to look for? Consider? Avoid? Its something Im kicking around for next year so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ground Blinds

Why dont you not spend any money, and build a ground blind out of braches and twigs i have done that since i started and i think it works great. And i have got a few deer out of them and you dont have to worry about carrying anything in or out
Old 11-19-2007, 04:25 AM

Default RE: Ground Blinds

Like everything else in life there are pro's and con's. The con's I've noticed are you "lose daylight", most manufactered blinds have dark interiors and that combined with the see through screens actually take about 45 minutes off the evening hunt. Also things that hit your blind make an "un-natrual noise" i.e. acorns or leaves falling on the top; nothing you can really do about that but you do want to make sure no limbs brush against it when the wind blows. And that brings up another con, make sure to get a blind that doesn't move around in wind, I find the hub style is best. The pro's, for me, they are as light as most climber stands so you can take them anywhere and can hunt those spots without a decent stand tree to be found. Themain thing I like about blinds is that I as I get older I'm alot more fidgety(laugh but hemmaroids are a bear!) and the blind is a little more forgiving of body movements. I use aGround Max blind and it's ok, some minorquality issues butnothing I can't fix. Good luck.....