Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shoot or don't shoot

Old 11-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default shoot or don't shoot

My question to all of you is......... if you had a 130-135 P&Y buck at 10 yds standing directly facing you and you are in an elevated tree stand 20 ft off the ground and the only shot at this deer was a spine shot would you let an arrow fly?

That is what happened to me last week while hunting in Illinois. I came to full draw and waited for the buck to turn to the left and follow the run he was on. Low and behold when the buck turned he took one jump and he was off and running like he was shot out of a cannon. I did everything I could to stop him with no luck. I just watched him run off. No sooner as he went out of sight he came 2 dogs running down the side hill and crossed the creek on the bucks trail. I had no idea that dogs were running that buck, they never barked once. As the dogs got back on the trail of the buck I couldn't believe what had just happened. I tried for the life of me to figure out where to squeeze a arrow into that buck. I'm sure many would have sent an arrow flying but I thought the shot to be unethical and was waiting for a better shot opportunity. Oh well that never happened but I can live with my decision not to shoot.

For those that are wondering NO I didn't shoot the dogs although the thought crossed my mind.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shoot or don't shoot

You definitely made the right decision. Sounds to me like your head is on straight and you are someone that I would share the woods with. To answer you question, No I would not have taken the shot. Feel good about your decision. You made the right one.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

you made the right choice . that is a poor shot to take and not worth taking no matter what
Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

You definitely made the right decision. Sounds to me like your head is on straight and you are someone that I would share the woods with. To answer you question, No I would not have taken the shot. Feel good about your decision. You made the right one.
I agree.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Great decision!! your odds of wounding that buck are high with a shot like that. You owe it to that animal to make a clean ethical shot.. and that IMO is not one.. Great choice and good hunting

Good luck to ya
Old 11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had a 120" 9 pointer last year coming in like a dream. He was walking broadside 20 yards in front of me right down the happy trail. I came to full draw when he went behind some thick cover. Next time I had a full view of him (few seconds later) he was facing directly at me @ 20 yards []. He actually took a few paces towards me at one point. Held my draw for about an hour (or so it seemed [8D]) and the buck just held up there and wouldn't offer a shot. I had to finally let down or I was going to fall out of my stand. He bolted.... game over.

You made the right decision and be proud of it.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I had a 120" 9 pointer last year coming in like a dream. He was walking broadside 20 yards in front of me right down the happy trail. I came to full draw when he went behind some thick cover. Next time I had a full view of him (few seconds later) he was facing directly at me @ 20 yards []. He actually took a few paces towards me at one point. Held my draw for about an hour (or so it seemed [8D]) and the buck just held up there and wouldn't offer a shot. I had to finally let down or I was going to fall out of my stand. He bolted.... game over.

You made the right decision and be proud of it.
Thanks to all that responed. I knew I did the right thing. I was wondering what other would have done. It seems like we have a solid group of ethical hunters on board.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 AM

I don't see why anyone would even consider a situation like this a "choice".............you had no shot.......it happens........life goes on.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

x2
Old 11-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I agree.
Me too!

Quick Reply: shoot or don't shoot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.