Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shoot or don't shoot

Old 11-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shoot or don't shoot

You definitely made the right decision. Sounds to me like your head is on straight and you are someone that I would share the woods with. To answer you question, No I would not have taken the shot. Feel good about your decision. You made the right one.
I agree with this 100%. Although it is tempting,you made the right decision on not shooting the dogs also. You don't needa dog running home with an arrow hanging out of him. Good Job!! I would find out who owns the dogs and let them know.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Atlas. You never had an ethical shot. I passed on something similar (broadside but at 3 or so yds from 20+') last year on a good buck because I thought the angle was too steep. I never got another shot at him..............................until last Tuesday!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:35 AM

Awfully tempting, isn't it? That little voice of panic kicks in...."shoot it....shoot it!! he's gonna get away!" I know it well.

Here's the question.....Which is better? NOT shooting him, or shooting him, wounding him and never finding him??

Youmade a great decision under stress. Nicely done.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks to all that responed. I knew I did the right thing. I was wondering what other would have done. It seems like we have a solid group of ethical hunters on board.
I would not have shot. I wouldn't have even drawn (but thats mainly because I can't hold more then about 10 seconds).

I don't see why anyone would even consider a situation like this a "choice".............you had no shot.......it happens........life goes on.
I disagree. He did have a choice - to shoot or not to shoot.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:02 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I disagree. He did have a choice - to shoot or not to shoot.

I don't see it that way..........if a deer walks by me at 90 yards through thick brush and I don't shoot at it I don't feel like I made a decision not to shoot. You either have a shot or you don't. He didn't.

If a deer is 15 yards in front of you facing you or facing away he is the same as the deer I described above.........sure it hurts to see them so close and still not have a shot but there is no difference.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice, in my opinion.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

10 yards was too far and the angle would have been terrible. No, I would not have taken that shot. In fact, I passed that same shot on the buck I entered in the contest. Luckily for me,he turned broadside soon after though.