Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you hunt THIS rain???

Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 PM

Default RE: Would you hunt THIS rain???

Put yer big boy pants on, suck it up, and get wet!!

(of course, that's easy for ME to say....I'll be inside where it's warm and dry....)
Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL! Your situation sounds exactly like mine onMonday evening. Here is a exerpt from my team thread that I posted about my Monday evening doe hunt in the rain.

I made it out for an evening hunt last night. It had been raining all day and continued to pour for the first hour I was on stand. It finally quit raining about 4:00 pm. and that's when the action began. I saw 6 different bucks from 4:00 to dark. The biggest being about a 145 -150" ten point. He was a beauty. I was exclusively doe hunting and I haven'tbought my second buck tag yet, I had to watch him walk by at 22 yards. None of the other five bucks I seen were mature just yet. 4 of them were 2.5 year olds with a ton of potential. One of them was a beautiful looking 10 point that would score about 125", however, he just didn't have the mass yet. I also saw 2 eight points a seven point and a 3 point. All of them were 2.5 year olds except the 3 point which was only 1.5 years old. Needless, to say I had a great day on stand. 3 of the 6 bucks presented shots. Go figure.... no does even came into range. I had a great time just watching all those bucks. I didn't have to worry about "the shot" I grunted at them and turned the can at them and even rattled at them some. It was almost comical watching the bucks run around me looking for my grunt tube and doe bleat. It was one of the best hunts in a long time and I didn't even draw back my bow.

If I were you I would head out.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I think I'll look at this from rybo's POV....lol.

I think I'll come in to the office and head out early for an evening sit, tomorrow. Maybe hit it early friday and come back in here for an afternoon of work. I had this time off with Rob coming down.....but I also have things I could be doing!

I might not shoot at ANYTHING.....except with a camera. I need some good photos, too!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes...
Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had some of my best hunts in the rainand when the front is coming in. If its pouring then Im out of there. Also a good time when the temps are dropping but if the winds going to pick up I would go with the morning rain.But then again if I had a freezer full of meat it would be SPOON TIME!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Oh come on bud you know the answer!! Get out and hunt! We all know you cant kill one from the couch watching tv
Just think to yourself...what would dan do? LMAO!!!
Head towards the thick pines, set up a tree umbrella and enjoy what nature has to offer!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Once I was hunting in Missouri when a nice 8 point buck came into me and was standing between two trees. All I could see was his vital area between the trees at 30 yards. I took the shot and when the arrow hit it sounded like I hit a broad. I thought crap I hit his shoulder and about 10 min. after the buck took off it started to pour down rain, so I got down knowing if I sat there to long there would not be any signs of blood. I seen the direction that the buck had went and I found the Goldtip arrow stuck in the ground right were I hit him. It was rainning really hard and no blood on the arrow and on the ground. I went back to camp and thought I go back in the morning. It rain all night and the next morning and it was rainning hard as I went out to get him. I stood the arrow up so I could find where it was stuck it the ground ater the pass through and walked in the direction he went. I realy got lucky he was just over the hill dead and the coyoties didn't eat him. On inspection the arrow had gone through his shoulder blade and just missed the one on the other side. My 70 lb bow and my 400 grain carbon arrow had blowed through. I was realy lucky to find him. At home I don't hunt when its rainning if it's realy light yes, but will not take a shot if it not a 100% really good double lung shot.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll be out tomorrow afternoon.....after the rain and the temp drop.

Great points, guys
Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting rain is so hard, it's always moving and there are so many small drops it's hard to wait on a really mature drop, kind of like hunting a caribou migration.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not too font of hunting in the rain, if you hit one and had to track the blood might wash away, but if you wanna hunt, then hunt i know ive been out in the rain quite a few times!

Quick Reply: Would you hunt THIS rain???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.