Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting in the rain

Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Default hunting in the rain

how many of you hunt in the rain, and do you think that deer move less in the rain?

I never really see deer when its raining.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting in the rain

I stay in when it rains, deer ussualy bed down when it is raining. But you can't kill them on the couch, never know when that big one strolls through.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Spike

I stay on my stand unless it is really raining hard. I try to wait it out because it is so quite and still after the rain stops. I love to hunt in a drizzle. It really depends on the wind that comes with the rain. If it is really blowing I pack it in. I am not sure the rain bothers the deer that much but I am certian thehighwindswill put them on their bellies.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Chris. I am all about a little drizzle, but gusty winds and hard rain are a show stopper.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont see much when it rains

Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Here with these blacktails it seems that the harder it rains the more visible the deer become. The thick foliage in this region when it rains hampers their ability to hear so they move to more open areas to use sight as a defensive measure.

I LOVE THE RAIN !!!

If I knew the dance I'd be dancing

Rogue
Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I see a lot more deer when the weather is poor. Up to a point that is. Rain I will hunt in but if it is and extended steady rain I may pass or downpouring.I also see deer in windy conditions, I just may prefer to stay on the ground as opposed to in the treetops. And I really like hunting in the snow. Right when a storm starts is best. And especially when one is going to be a doozy(a foot or more) the deer know it is coming and I will be looking for them in the pines. When it is calm and sunny I seem to see a lot of squirells but not deer.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt the rain. I have limited time in the woods every year, so no matter what the weather is doing, I am out there. When it rains the deer head to specific spots on my property as well. I have some young hemlock stands they flock to when it's raining. Since I bought some good rainwear this year finally, staying out there is no big thing. Combine the rainwear with my tree umbrella, and I stay dry as can be.