Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Born a hunter?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Born a hunter?

Do you think that people are born with natural ability, understandingand skill to be a hunter? On the flipside of that do you think people are born with no ability, no understanding and no skill to be a hunter?

I know a few people that no matter how "book smart" they are, how dedicated they may be to hunting and learning about hunting, how much technology they have, etc.... they just don't seem to get it. They appear almost awkward in a way in the woods. They just don't walk the walk if you know what I mean. When talking about deer hunting with them, it's like they are talking about something completely different.

I'm not putting anyone down or proclaiming to bean almighty great hunter. Some of the people I'm speaking of are very good friends of mine. They really put in the time and effort and I applaudthem for that. But, it just seems like they just don't get it. Like they'll never fully be in tune with all the little intricacies of hunting no matter what they do.

Is it similar to people having natural athletic ability? There are some people you simply will never make athletes no matter what's available to them or how hard they try.Is it the same way for hunters and hunting? Or do you think anyone can eventually be a proficeint hunter?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Born a hunter?

I kills me to do so but I agree. My buddy has hunted with me for 9 seasons, went blank the first three years and never has killed anything over a hundred inches. I let hime pick what stand he wants when he comes. He gives it a ton of effort but when speaking to him I know he just don't get it.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Generally, i think your on to something. Some people no matter how much effort they put into something, the person with natural ability will always have an edge on them, ive seen it in every sport ive played growing up. Is hunting like that? I think the love for nature and hunting is something that your either born with or you aren't. I know people who wouldn't be caught dead sitting in a tree in the middle of the woods. Now for the whole hunting ability part i think you are right as well. Some people have a natural understanding of things and others don't. One thing i never have and never will do is mix competition with hunting. Hunting for me is pure enjoyment and i dont care if you just shot a 205" monster or a button buck, it takes a great amount of skill and determination to be successful at harvesting ANY deer. I have a few buddies who think they are the almighty hunters and everyone else has no idea what they are doing. Karma catches up real quick and these guys have had a horrible season. Although i agree with you in some ways, i think the whole idea is completely arbitrary, if someone hasa love for nature and enjoys hunting and being in the woods, theres nothing better in my book.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I haven't killed anything over 100" either, but I do believe I have more of a natural ability as a hunter than afew of the people I know. Hunting isn't about rack-size, it's about getting meat on the table (TROPHY hunting, well that'sdifferent). And the better the hunter, the more proficient at getting said meat. Granted, it took me till last year to get good at getting within bow-range of deer, but after going quite a few years with barely a shot opportunity, I've gotten within bow-range of over 50 deer between this season and last. And for where I hunt, that's pretty damn good. I finally 'got it'. And I'm a first-generation-hunter. I've figured it all out on my own, with some help from books and forums like this. But I know people that won't get it no matter how much they read or hear from others.

In other words, I believe you're either born with it or you're not.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:59 PM

I don't think people are born natural hunters. I do think people usually have to start at an early age in order to be consistantly successful. I know growing up from about the age of 9 or 10 I became obssessed with the outdoors. My friend Eric, (Team Va) and I would walk in the woods and on the paths on our farm in the middle of July, in the heat of the day just to see nature in anatural state. We studied what we saw, we completely emersed ourselves in hunting and all it entails. We have other friends and family members that played sports and did other things instead of hunting and being outdoors. They hunt, but they do not get it. They do not shoot big deer, unless they are driven to them by some means (dogs/man) . In reality, they just don't have the knowledge and are really late in trying to gain it. You see, I think one has to really be obssessed with hunitng and whitetails or whatever game they chase to be good at it. Someone asked one of mybuddys not too long ago , "how does Landon (me) kill so many deer and nice bucks every year?" His response was "they just walk under his stand.." Well, yes they do, but I have the knowledge of what it takes to have them walk under my stand. My buddy just does not get it, you have to just know, respect, and love the game you chase. Some people have that, some don't. My opinion on the matter.................
Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 PM

ABSOLUTELY. Let's take golf, or heck....any sport for that matter. Some are better than others, period. I was a pretty good ball player in high school, but there ain't no amount of practice in the world gonna put me anywhere CLOSE to the talent of Albert Puhols.

Are some people born with more natural ability as a hunter? You betcha.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I do think some are born to hunt over others. It is an adventure to hunt and to plan how you are going to get the deer you are after. Also some I think don't have the drive others do to hunt. It has something to do with the area you hunt also. You do have to have the deer where you hunt and some have more oppertunities then others in that way.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Site Buck Guru

Yes! As soon as I was born, I snuck out of the crib and went looking for a big buck. Problem was that I didn't know where I was.[:-]
Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 PM

For some the horn of the hunter sounds early, and for some not at all. But for myself, it has been with me always.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I kills me to do so but I agree. My buddy has hunted with me for 9 seasons, went blank the first three years and never has killed anything over a hundred inches. I let hime pick what stand he wants when he comes. He gives it a ton of effort but when speaking to him I know he just don't get it.
If your hunting Kansas I will be your new buddy, you can have first picks of stands.

Quick Reply: Born a hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.