Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Born a hunter?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Born a hunter?

I think people have natural tendencies to be good at various things, why not hunting as well.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Born with the urge or need to hunt and some natural ability, then learn along the way. JMO.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 AM

I think it is a good combination of nurture and nature. Some of us are born with a natural desire to hunt and how successful we become at it can be aided by the exposure to it that we recieve. My brother and I are great examples we both started hunting around 8 years old and he was a natural. His shooting skills were instinctive and deadly accurate while mine needed some polish. We shared the same passion with with striking different results on success no matter what the game animal. I was forced make up for the skills that I lacked with hard work (practice and study in the field). Having to take a more difficult path to the success that I have had has strengthened my passion even more. My brother on the other hand has become somewhat complacent and only gets excited about hunting when I show up with antlers in the bed of the truck. I firmly believe that you have to feed the desire or the natural hunter in us will become buried. I start thinking about next years buck the minute this years hits the ground. Just my .02
Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

This is my favorite answer....and how I feel about it.

I think being a great hunter requires alot of intelligence, and frankly not everyone is equal in that department. To me bowhunting is like a chess match. You have to take ALL of the information you have, along with the information you DON'T have, and formulate the best strategy that will put you in the right place at the right time.

Some people just aren't smart enough to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together.

And even if you do have the intelligence, you ALSO have to have the DRIVE. That's a whole 'nother story.
Having the knowledge is only part of the puzzle. It takes discipline, too.....in somewhat equal amounts. Those two traits are in a constant battle.

I honestly think I'm a fair hunter. I honestly think I could be pretty good at anything I set my mind to, though. I was born with a few gifts that got me through my athletic years.....and I think they likely help me deer hunting. I wouldn't be surprised if some people had an innate sense that aided them in hunting.

I love playing the guitar.....but I'm not wired to ever be a GREAT player. I can have ANY of you playing a 3 chord song in 45 minutes......but I could tell you pretty quickly if you'd ever be GREAT at it......or, more pointedly....if you wouldn't.

Hunting deer isn't rocket science. Finding them is one thing. Finding certain ones of them is another. Narrowing that down to a certain age group fo a certain sex is getting more intricate.

I think there are those among us who could be successful at anything they put their minds to. I think they were likely born with THAT. Past that....I won't go.

I also liked this, a lot....

I think people have natural tendencies to be good at various things, why not hunting as
Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say yes, some have it andsome do not.

Just like some have a very good sense of direction when it comes to hunting also. I think that i was born with that gift.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that the key is knowing your strengths and putting those into play to overcome your weaknesses in the field. But, some people certainly have innate abilities that make them better suited for hunting. Some people will never be world class wide receivers. Some people will never be great public speakers. And, some people will never be great hunters.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 AM

For the disbelieves of natural talent, I will submit this.

I have a friend, that I truly believe has a gift for hunting. Now I'm not talking about someone who is good, I know a pretty fair amount of them, but truely gifted. We went through the Wildlife Science program together in college, and he is amazing. He was guiding $2500 mule deer hunts for his father before he even had his drivers liscence, AND PEOLPE WOULD REQUEST HIM OVER HIS FATHER. His dad is no slouch at all when it comes to guiding/hunting, but they just don't compare. Shane is moved by some inner understanding of nature that most folks just don't have, and will never have, no matter how hard they try. I have seen him time and time again make predictions about game movements that were just flat scary about how dead on they turned out to be. Alot of folks try to distill hunting down to a science, but it just ain't so. Hunting is an art, and like all forms of art, you got it or you don't. Out of the ones that do have it, there will be a few that are truely great, and just uncanny in their ability.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Spike

I think it has everything to do with how you grow up. I had a grandfather, a father, and Aunts and Uncles that all were outdoorsmen. I grew up with the outdoors as a big part of my life. But maybe that is a case for being born to it too. All of my loved ones were outdoorsmen and I am too so maybe ther is some truth to it being genitic. I don't know. I know that theoriginal bowhuntershad some people that were better at making arrowheads and tools and they stayed in the camp and let the ones better adapted to hunting do the hunting. I guess it goes with it being said some people are natural ball players and some aren't.I just know I have always been in the outdoors and i love it.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like this one...

Shane is moved by some inner understanding of nature that most folks just don't have, and will never have, no matter how hard they try. I have seen him time and time again make predictions about game movements that were just flat scary about how dead on they turned out to be. Alot of folks try to distill hunting down to a science, but it just ain't so. Hunting is an art, and like all forms of art, you got it or you don't. Out of the ones that do have it, there will be a few that are truely great, and just uncanny in their ability.
That's moreor less along the lines I was thinking. There's that little "it" factor that seperates the good/great hunters from the rest.Someone can have all the scientific data in the world and know every aspect of deer behavior and patterns, BUT even then they may only achieve a certain level of hunting ability IMO. I think there are people that are naturally so in tune to nature and hunting. Kind of like that 6th sense that deer have. Somehow they just know and understand on a consistent basis. I also believe there are others that can't and will never have that ability because it can't be taught. Their book knowledge and field experience can only take them so far. JMO
Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

ABSOLUTELY. Let's take golf, or heck....any sport for that matter. Some are better than others, period. I was a pretty good ball player in high school, but there ain't no amount of practice in the world gonna put me anywhere CLOSE to the talent of Albert Puhols.

Are some people born with more natural ability as a hunter? You betcha.
x2

Quick Reply: Born a hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.