Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Born a hunter?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Born a hunter?

People are definately born with it..............No Doubt.

Some are more successful in the field than others. Some are raised to hunt from an early age, but justdon't "have it".

Some are beginners to the sport, and find huge success in the field due to their natural abilities.

......and then there's the chosen few, those who are born to crawl through the heavytimber and roam the openplains. Thosewho are raised into the greatest tradition known to man. Whether it be long bow, black powder, or 300 Win. mag, it all just comes together. Being in touch with nature, and having animal insticts to judge the wind, weather, and having that sixth sense to be in the right place at the right time............

yes some people are just born with it.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pigiron

Some are more successful in the field than others. Some are raised to hunt from an early age, but justdon't "have it".

Some are beginners to the sport, and find huge success in the field due to their natural abilities.

......and then there's the chosen few, those who are born to crawl through the heavytimber and roam the openplains. Thosewho are raised into the greatest tradition known to man. Whether it be long bow, black powder, or 300 Win. mag, it all just comes together. Being in touch with nature, and having animal insticts to judge the wind, weather, and having that sixth sense to be in the right place at the right time............

Very well said!!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think being a great hunter requires alot of intelligence, and frankly not everyone is equal in that department. To me bowhunting is like a chess match. You have to take ALL of the information you have, along with the information you DON'T have, and formulate the best strategy that will put you in the right place at the right time.

Some people just aren't smart enough to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together.

And even if you do have the intelligence, you ALSO have to have the DRIVE. That's a whole 'nother story.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

I'd say there could be some small edge for certain folks, but I don't think it makes as much difference as some would make it out to be. I believe desire and opportunity to be the biggest factors for success, IMO.

Marksmanship is a whole other subject. I'm convinced that some are just naturally gifted with a steadier hand and sharper eyesight than others.

GH
Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right on! Preach it pigiron!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you are born a hunter or not.

I do think that every human has the cognitive ability to become a good hunter - however some people learn better than others.

It was funny - I've been taking my 12 year old hunting quite a bit this year - and the thing I notice the Most (other than the inablity to sit for long periods) is how noisy he is when he walks. Its not his fault, he has nothing to compare it to. And no matter how many times I show him how to walk quitely - he "just thinks he is" -
I think he'll learn eventually, because he really seems to like hunting - but - it just goes to show you that you can "learn" to be a better hunter. The more you do it the better you get.

After re-reading your post though - I must say that I know a few of these guys too - that no matter how "into it" they are - they don't grasp what it takes, - at all. Yet, they hunt every year - and sometimes take deer. So, while it might seem "odd" - they are happy - and so am I for them.

FH
Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 PM

I truly believe that some are born with it, others can learn it, and some will just neverget things to fall intoplace.The biggest mistakeI seeby the latter bunch is they like to hunt in the prettiest places. Chuck Adams put it best. "You gotta go where the deer are." In my neck of the woods, those places aren't very pretty, and sometimes, they're downright nasty!Some people just don't seem to get that. . .or they're not willing togo to that extreme.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

Yea, I agree.
To me, some hunters seem to belong in the woods, then others seem out of place.
Those hunters will shoot some deer in their days, but they will never be as efficient as the thoroughbreds.
Its the simple things like walking through the woods quietly, remembering every tree and every bend in a creek. Staying real still, and knowing what the deer are doing.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

Very well said!!
Very well said!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:58 AM

Different spin here...I believe I am a natural born hunter. I grew up a city kid. My dad never hunted, but he also never held me back when I told him I wanted to hunt. Here I am 32 years later, still getting after it. Whether or not I'm actually good athunting is certainly open for debate, but I'm pretty sure I came by the desire naturally. It was always something I wanted to do even though my surroundings as a child weren't geared that way.

Quick Reply: Born a hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.