Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.57%
No
21.43%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Can you buy hunting success?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: POLL: Can you buy hunting success?

ORIGINAL: Jimimac

Personally, I've always felt the haves are no better hunters than the have nots. In my opinion there are quite a few have nots right on this very board that if they were planted firmly on exclusive properties that hold giant bucks, would be just as successful or more successful as these so called "experts".
Exactly...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Money can buy just about anything you can think of. Of course it can buy hunting success.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The "worthiness" of the hunter is not what I'm questioning... just that single accomplishment itself. I know Stan Potts, Greg Miller, et al., probably go on some guided hunts. That doesn't make them less of a hunter in general (going to your statement about "worthiness of a hunter"), but do I think they "worked as hard" as someone with lesser means who couldn't afford a guide -- as Rick James said? Nope. So, to that end, I don't think that single accomplishment stacks up against the guy who did everything himself.

Can everyone do that? Heck no. Should they? Probably not, given the means. But I can't say that I have the same amount of respect for the particular instance where someone who walked in and shot an animal that someone else found for them. This doesn't mean I disrespect the person or hunter any less; far from it. If that's what they want to do, great. I just don't think -- as was pointed out by several posters up above -- that anyone reallyranks those two different instances at the same place on the scale of "accomplishment".
Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

You can buy almost anything. If you have the money to pay someone guide you you are buying their skill and that in turn if you can pull the trigger you are successful in bagging a trophy. However that is not what I call success. Success to me is fiinding my own deer watching and learning all summer and then killing him. That is success to me
Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

Personally, I've always felt the haves are no better hunters than the have nots. In my opinion there are quite a few have nots right on this very board that if they were planted firmly on exclusive properties that hold giant bucks, would be just as successful or more successful as these so called "experts".
[/blockquote]

Exactly...
I third this comment whole-heartedly. I've seen first-hand what good hunting land can do, and the inability to access it.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend in Georgia. A man that is very wealthy and has and can hunt anywhere in the world on payed guided hunts. He use to a lot, but today he soley pursues the DIY hunts.

He and I had this same "$" success....discussion last year on a sturgeon fishing trip. His exact words were, "I choose not to do any of the payed guided stuff anymore. I'd rather do it myself and take the best animals for my home area or on a complete DIY huntthan paying for a giant, its more rewarding."

Funny, that same man just email me a photo TODAYof the buck he just killed. A DIY bowhunt. The buck isnot agiant, but the smile on his face is.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

I have a friend in Georgia. A man that is very wealthy and has and can hunt anywhere in the world on payed guided hunts. He use to a lot, but today he soley pursues the DIY hunts.

He and I had this same "$" success....discussion last year on a sturgeon fishing trip. His exact words were, "I choose not to do any of the payed guided stuff anymore. I'd rather do it myself and take the best animals for my home area or on a complete DIY huntthan paying for a giant, its more rewarding."

Funny, that same man just email me a photo TODAYof the buck he just killed. A DIY bowhunt. The buck isnot agiant, but the smile on his face is.
THAT KINDA SUM'S IT UP. Nothing better then rewards of hard work.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Now, there's a difference in leasing land to be scouted and hunted through your own efforts, IMO. Am I somewhat jealous of those who can afford huge tracts of primo land holding monster whitetails or whatever quarry the hunter pursues? You betcha. But if he does the work himself, it's still a great accomplishment in my eyes.
This is where I disagree with you Greg. For example... to me that real nice public land whitetail that quicksiilverjust took is a much greater accomplishment than a guy who has deep pockets, and can lease up a bunch of land that holds lots of big bucks. To me it's no great accomplishment for that guy to shoot a 160 class buck ifhis place is loaded with them.
Agree 100%.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it all depends on how you define 'success.'
Old 11-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Now, there's a difference in leasing land to be scouted and hunted through your own efforts, IMO. Am I somewhat jealous of those who can afford huge tracts of primo land holding monster whitetails or whatever quarry the hunter pursues? You betcha. But if he does the work himself, it's still a great accomplishment in my eyes.
[/blockquote]

This is where I disagree with you Greg. For example... to me that real nice public land whitetail that quicksiilverjust took is a much greater accomplishment than a guy who has deep pockets, and can lease up a bunch of land that holds lots of big bucks. To me it's no great accomplishment for that guy to shoot a 160 class buck ifhis place is loaded with them.
Jimmimac,

You're not disagreeing with me in the least. We both feel the same way. The fact that I said it's a good accomplishment doesn't make it AS good as the guy who takes it on public land. Not in the least.

Many on here know that I located a 160-class on public land a couple years ago, and hunted him HARD all season, and finally got an arrow through him the day after Christmas. There's no way that feeling would be as euphoric as it was if I had arrowed him on leased land.

Not that I would turn any leased-land hunts down, if any of my friends want to invite me on any...

Quick Reply: POLL: Can you buy hunting success?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.