Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's a southern thang......

Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It's a southern thang......

SevenMag,
What I meant by "anti-hunting" is that the method some hunters have taken to police their dog hunting brethern is to try to legislate them out of existence. As NEW61375 said, that won't eliminate the problem, because the problem is the slob hunters, not dog hunting. What it DOES do is eliminate one more form of hunting, and maybe another group of supporters for hunting. What we should do is insist on more enforcement, not more restrictions, and educate and even SHAME our fellow hunters into doing the correct thing, whether that's with or without dogs.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Talondale

SevenMag,
What I meant by "anti-hunting" is that the method some hunters have taken to police their dog hunting brethern is to try to legislate them out of existence. As NEW61375 said, that won't eliminate the problem, because the problem is the slob hunters, not dog hunting. What it DOES do is eliminate one more form of hunting, and maybe another group of supporters for hunting. What we should do is insist on more enforcement, not more restrictions, and educate and even SHAME our fellow hunters into doing the correct thing, whether that's with or without dogs.
since you put it that way i'll agree...
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

If you took the dogs away from the guys you describe they would stillbe trespassing, spotlighting, road hunting, slob hunters.
these idiots do that as well... and i agree the problem is the two legged variety... one of the local problems around our property is that the cops have bigger fish to fry, like the meth problem they have... its just a lower priority offense unfortunately... and i can't argue with the priority either... local wal-mart built a new super-wal-mart and when they drug screened over 300 applicants on 15 people passed... couple that with the fact that there are only 2 dnr officers in the county and its just a recipe for these kinds of things to happen... unfortunately most landowners have had to resort to enforcing their rights themselves and the cops kind of have no choice but to turn a blind eye to it... all you can do is do what you can and hope for the best... I just hope I don't have any problems when I take my 6.5yr old boy out there this weekend... that's my only real concern about it...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

You know this goes back to the old argument of "whos rights are more important" It is exactally like saying that smoking in a restaurant is impeading on your right to enjoy a smoke free meal, BUT if you stop smoking in that restaurant then arn't you impeading onthe smokers right to enjoy a cigarette with his meal?
Same principal here. If we outlaw dog hunting then we are impeading the dog hunters rights to hunt with hounds BUT if we allow dog hunting to continue we are impeading on the Still hunters/property ownersrights to a hunt/live with no dogs running across his land.... who are we to decide?... somebody is going to get screwed in the deal...
if you were talking about PUBLIC property, sure... let 'em hunt... but PRIVATE property is something entirely different...

the smoking analogy doesn't hold water either... restaurants are public places... the better analogy would be akin to someone that's not welcome or has not been invited coming in your house and pissing on your living room floor, running around and scaring the kids and taking food out of your fridge... who am I to decide??? I'm the owner of the property...
Restaurants are privately owned so if the owner wants to restrict smoking that's his/her right.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: turtleshell

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

You know this goes back to the old argument of "whos rights are more important" It is exactally like saying that smoking in a restaurant is impeading on your right to enjoy a smoke free meal, BUT if you stop smoking in that restaurant then arn't you impeading onthe smokers right to enjoy a cigarette with his meal?
Same principal here. If we outlaw dog hunting then we are impeading the dog hunters rights to hunt with hounds BUT if we allow dog hunting to continue we are impeading on the Still hunters/property ownersrights to a hunt/live with no dogs running across his land.... who are we to decide?... somebody is going to get screwed in the deal...
if you were talking about PUBLIC property, sure... let 'em hunt... but PRIVATE property is something entirely different...

the smoking analogy doesn't hold water either... restaurants are public places... the better analogy would be akin to someone that's not welcome or has not been invited coming in your house and pissing on your living room floor, running around and scaring the kids and taking food out of your fridge... who am I to decide??? I'm the owner of the property...
Restaurants are privately owned so if the owner wants to restrict smoking that's his/her right.
of course they are... they CAN make that distinction, no question... but they are also businesses that the public is allowed entry to without asking permission... it is assumed that they are welcome until they do something against the rules... quite the opposite of private land ownership where you must be invited or must ask permission to avoid tresspassing... that said, the owners have every right to stop smoking in their place of biz (a local deli has banned cell phone usage for instance)... but that is their choice, i can show you real numbers from a company that saw a 30% decrease in revenue when one of the cities their places were in went smokeless... if they don't want that money, fine... but biz and private land are completely different entities, and for the purpose of the analogy, it serves its purpose fine...
Old 11-13-2007, 04:21 PM

So I guess I got my answers. Most people can agree that dog hunting brings out the worst in some and the best in some. That has been my opinion since I started dog hunting over 20 yrs ago. Yes, we do have lots of trash in the ranks of dogs and deer, but there are also many fine people that hunt this way as well as other ways too. The generation coming is locked and loaded for anything, if we can get them in the woods and give them something wholesome, then Im for any type of legal hunting. Im a teacher, high school, and I have kids starving for attention and direction. Just simply take a kid hunting and you may have more of an impact than you ever thought.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM

ive hunted with hounds for rabbit and coons but ive never hunted deer with hounds ive always figured it wouldnt b as much fun.lol
Old 11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, here is my view on dog hunting. IF you have plenty of land and are not going to bother the surrounding property owners, do it. All they are doing is ruining the still hunting. Then there are the others that are trying to run dogs on 200 acres the is broken up into different peices of land. Those are the ones the get on my nerves. They knwo they are intruding on the other person's hunting time, but they dont seem to care. Then there are the really big jerks. My buddy was sitting at his stand the other day, watched the dog hutner pull up, and dump 100 dogs off on his land. THen they told him the cant control what the dogs did. The wayI see it, when you turn the dogs out onto another persons, property, it should be treated as tresspassing. That is my veiw coming from the point of a good ol' southern boy. BTW davidmil,I really liked that quote, "The South wont rise again, it never died and is still going strong."
Brent