Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's a southern thang......

Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: It's a southern thang......

I have a big, femsle chocolate lab that's not a "roamer", too much. BUT....if she went into the deer woods during the season and got killed.....I'd have NO ONE to blame but myself.

THE problem people have with dog owners is the total lack of respect for the landowners on adjacent properties. Someone said it was akin to poaching. I couldn't agree more. If your dog is loose during deer season on somoeone else's land.....and it DOESN'T get killed......go thank the landowner. He graced you that day.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Bartender

I totally agree we are responsible for our own actions and our animals for sure.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Davidmil...what agreat look into the tradition from a Northern perspective..Thanks for that post.

Having also spent years in the South and making great friendships. The people are top notch. They have different ways for many things. That doesn't make them wrong. Generally they are just getting the most out of life and they sureknow how to do that!
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Exactly GR8atta. The odd thing about this tradition though is the non-dog hunter attitudes in the South. There are many more clubs and individuals in the South that DO NOT dog hunt. Most of them have the same distain and attitude towards the dog hunters choice of hunts as someone likeI did who was raised thinking such things were mortal sins. Many Dog Clubs border non dog hunting clubs. Of course the dogs don't always know where the boundries are and it causes many conflicts. It has led to many confrontations I'm sure. You shoot a dog hunters dog you might as well have violated his little girl. At any rate.... if he finds out who, it isn't going to be a pretty deal.

I have to mention the dogs. I have seen some amazing things with these dogs. I think the best was this one dog one day. The dogs had been on this deer across quite a few roads and through some tough country. It ended with this deer swimming down the middle of this big flooded timber. It was a big pond in a gully. The deer swims through about 300 yards of 6-8 foot deep water. Steps out on the shore next to a built up road and is promptly shot by a 12 year old. Dropped him in his tracks. Well we're all standing around congratulating the lad on his deer with backslaps and tobacco juice all around. The deer is dressed and we hear this lone hound sounding off. Out of the flooded timber comes this July hound swimming for all he's worth. There was a slight scum on the pond. You could see where the deer had parted the scum. The dog followed the zig zag pattern through the timber right to the spot the deer was shot. Absolutely amazing.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 AM

7point, good post, yep, that's how it is in VA from the lying and swearing to the tobacco spitting. It is a truly southern tradition, I promise you that, From Va to Florida to Louisianna and Ark, it's all the same. The hunt is only a small part of it, the gathering is what we live for. I can't explain it, it is just unique.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Dominant Buck

We don't have dog hunting on our side of the state, David.....but you're right about what gets dog hunters vs. non dog hunters riled up. WHAT IN THE WORLD is so hard to understand about keeping your dogs on your own land?????

They'll argue 'til they're blue in the face that they can't control the dogs. Fair enough.....then don't hunt close to someone's land and risk it. If someone told me that my dog would be killed if it left my property.....I'd keep my dog on my property!

Why is this a hard concept to grasp????????
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I understand completly. It is not as much of a challenge for sure.
Thats usually what people say who haven't experienced it, and they usually find out that they're wrong.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 AM

I have killed many deer in front of dogs, do it every year, it's not as easy as some think, but let's be truthful, it is much easier than bowhunting or still hunting.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I have a big, femsle chocolate lab that's not a "roamer", too much. BUT....if she went into the deer woods during the season and got killed.....I'd have NO ONE to blame but myself.

THE problem people have with dog owners is the total lack of respect for the landowners on adjacent properties. Someone said it was akin to poaching. I couldn't agree more. If your dog is loose during deer season on somoeone else's land.....and it DOESN'T get killed......go thank the landowner. He graced you that day.
I my part of NC it is not illegal for the dogs to go on other property, hunting dogs are not pets and therefore do not fall under the same types of laws, leash laws and such, so this analogy doesn't fit this scenario. But it is illegal to hunt posted land. If dogs go on posted land the dog owner must gain permission to enter and get the dogs, no deer shooting allowed.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I have killed many deer in front of dogs, do it every year, it's not as easy as some think, but let's be truthful, it is much easier than bowhunting or still hunting.
[/quote

I guess for just killing "deer", but trophy bucks are another story.

Quick Reply: It's a southern thang......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.