Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's a southern thang......

Old 11-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It's a southern thang......

Funny you should bring this up...I had some guests in on Saturday, took them to one of my farms in Gates County...We hadn't been there 30 minutes before we started seeing deer dogs chasing deer...About 25 dogs after a scrawny spike buck...My guests had driven 225 miles to hunt my private property....They totally ruined the experience for us....Nope, hate dog hunting and anyone that does it...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got enough trouble with dogs in my deer woods.They do work real good for running all the deer out[:@]IMO Thats not deer hunting its deer killing. Cant do it Mich THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be totally against it. We have enough slob hunters in this state that they don't need any help from dogs. They will go onto private/posted land in plain clothes and without a weapon to push to their buddies off the property and walk right past your stand smiling.

I don't agree with shooting the dogs either. It's not their fault their owners are ignorant JOs. I don't know how things work in other parts of the country, but around here shooting a dog will land you in jail or worse depending on who catches you.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I don't agree with shooting the dogs either. It's not their fault their owners are ignorant JOs. I don't know how things work in other parts of the country, but around here shooting a dog will land you in jail or worse depending on who catches you.
unfortunately, in the areas we typically hunt (family owned properties), the dog hunters only understand one thing... they continue to do it until they have a reason not to... often that means until they get hit in the pocket book by having to get new dogs and such... its sad, but the dog hunters do it to themselves... they poach posted land and do it in a way that they can't get in trouble for since they aren't physically themselves tresspassing on... they knowingly put their dogs in danger on our property (the signs we have posted are large and address dog hunting specifically), we've had local authorities out to ask us about it, once explained, the cops sided with us on the deal... I feel justified in protecting our land from poachers, we put a lot of time, effort, and $$ into managing the land, now we've finally gotten to where no-one will dare dog hunt our land and we've gotten some really nice genetics growin up on our properties... the bonus part of this is that proper hunters (with permission of course) are allowed to hunt our land and they are thankful we did it as well... in our area attitudes are changing and dog hunters are finally being kinda ~demonized~ a little... something you just don't admit to doing anymore... thank god... its a shame it had to come to what it did, but things are improving much around us...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

That Southern tradition needs to be halted IMO along with some other traditions down south as well. It doesn't fit well in todays society. Sounds like you have done a nice job. Where are you at in the Commonwealth?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Where are you at in the Commonwealth?
live in IL, hunt in AL
Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

I would be against it I think it would scatter big bucks everywhere. I would vote against it unless it would be done late like last week of December and only does are allowed
Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Where are you at in the Commonwealth?
live in IL, hunt in AL
Nice to know mag but I ment vabowman
Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 PM

I live in Southeast Va, almost in the Tidewater region, where dog hunting is the norm. Like I said, I do dog hunt, but only because after the first week of gun season it's over for the bucks, they go into hiding. Can't blame though. Im really on the fence about the ethics of it. I have and will continue to do it, but every year I look less forward to it. Dogs running deer is a unique thing, but not sure if it is all good. Lots of people here hunt this way only. Are you familliar with the area Rickmur? Va is almost at a crossroads about dogs I think, we had some discussion in the Va Assembly this summer. I think we will see it end in the next 5 yrs. By the way, what other traditions need to be done away with? Just curious.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SevenMag

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

unfortunately, in the areas we typically hunt (family owned properties), the dog hunters only understand one thing... they continue to do it until they have a reason not to... often that means until they get hit in the pocket book by having to get new dogs and such... its sad, but the dog hunters do it to themselves... they poach posted land and do it in a way that they can't get in trouble for since they aren't physically themselves tresspassing on... they knowingly put their dogs in danger on our property (the signs we have posted are large and address dog hunting specifically), we've had local authorities out to ask us about it, once explained, the cops sided with us on the deal... I feel justified in protecting our land from poachers, we put a lot of time, effort, and $$ into managing the land, now we've finally gotten to where no-one will dare dog hunt our land and we've gotten some really nice genetics growin up on our properties... the bonus part of this is that proper hunters (with permission of course) are allowed to hunt our land and they are thankful we did it as well... in our area attitudes are changing and dog hunters are finally being kinda ~demonized~ a little... something you just don't admit to doing anymore... thank god... its a shame it had to come to what it did, but things are improving much around us...
Look, I know things are different in different parts of the country and the guys we are talking about don't view dogs they way I view my dogs, but I'd rather you go find their truck and set it on fire than kill the dogs. I know you were left with few options, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that killing dogs was the best option. I'm glad things worked out for you, but I wish there was another way to get to that point.

Quick Reply: It's a southern thang......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.