Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Did I do Wrong

Old 11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default What Did I do Wrong

well this mornin i went out to my best morning stand. i put out some doe in heat in a couple spots. climbed into my stand. i seet down n about 10 min later I saw a samll 3pt. he walked by not knowing i was even there. then a bunch of cows came down into teh nieghboring farms field i was worried that this would mess my hunting up but they left shortly after!! tehn about 30 min later i saw a deer movin my way. inew it was a buck by body size n the way he walked. i was tryin to get a look at him but my bino's kept foggin up. i new he was kinda wide but wen he turned side ways it was UNREAL i actually closed my eyes and took a second look at him. i grabed my bow n jsut couldn't believe that i was havin this big of a deer makin a line right 4 me. i told myself this was my year i would get a big one. but no LYE this deer was like a magazine buck he was so thick so tall n so wide he ahd everytihng but nontypical points. i waited till he got to about 50 yds. got my grunt tube out just incase my realese was on n i as ready. but at 40 yds. was a fence line taht i couldn't shoot throughtfor fear of hittin one of teh wires. so he got ready to jump the fence n seen me or somthin. then he stoped n i drew but the fence SREWED me! so i let out a big grunt n he stoped n turned n started back tward me. then he got to the fence again n HUNG up he nvr ended up jumpin the fence.I tried a snort weeze but it was like it spooked him? SO tell me do u think i could ahve done anything different idk if i could ahve but u no i'm sick about it!! n i can't hunt till next weekend due to Hight School! but next weekend is youth gun hunt he really didin't ahve a swollen neck n didn't seem to b worn out like he was chasin or any of that. i just no he was about 165" it was un real! any ideas of what i could ahve done or wat i should do!!!

WAT A DEER

Old 11-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What Did I do Wrong

it happens.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Spike

sounds like a great hunt to me. I snort weezed at one last week and he took off like his tail was on fire. I am not going to use that call anymore. I am thinking and have heard thatit will only work on the biggest buck. If that is the case then you are really hunting a good spot cause the big boy you saw may not be the biggest one in the area?I don't think you did anything "wrong". Things like that happen. Stay after him and good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, good luck getting him next week.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

The snort wheeze is a challenge call andmore often than not startles or intimidates bucks from my experience. The new roar calls are quite impressive and bring them in a bit more relaxed than the snort-wheeze. I tried my firt roar this season and brought in 3 bucks within 15 minutes. I had a hunting friend say he's brought in 16 bucks so far this season with the roar call.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Bowhunting is like that, I hunt a 400 acre farm in Grant county (wisconsin) Alone...noone else bow hunts it. I earned this privilage last year when I married my wife. Anyway I have seen 6 or 7 150+ class deer and many small bucks. I have had does walk right under my stand and I still haven't taken a deer. I have hunted 25+ times this year as well. Things just have to go absolutely right to bag a deer. You can be winded, seen, make a noise, I had a deer spooked by a cow that I was just about to draw back on. The list never ends. I am in my 7th year bowhunting and have taken 1 nine pointer. It's not easy.... so be giddy as hell when you get one. Thats my opinion.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

sound like an awesome hunt. just remember that like they said everything has to work just right. i had my biggest buck ever at 8 yards at full draw waiting for him to step out from a tree (didn't want to take a marginal shot on a 150" deer) only to have him bust me and trot off. oh well whether or not you killed him i bet you was still shaking for at least 2 hours afterwards. i know i was.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

oh well whether or not you killed him i bet you was still shaking for at least 2 hours afterwards. i know i was.

I still tell my buddy that the deer I saw was somthin you see on a magazine!! the cool part of it all is i'n only 16 i guess i'm really picky by my dads standards cause he said i should ahve nvr passed on 3 125" -130" deer but i new that there were several big ones around!!! i just hope i see him again he was an incredible ANIMAL
Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stay in skool til u kan tape en nen u kin cill en ezy.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM

Cows screwed you guaranteed. When I was hunting in Oklahoma I had so many bucks spook because of cows it was sick. My hunting buddy from Texas never believed me until it happened to him.

Quick Reply: What Did I do Wrong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.