Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man Made Funnels

Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Man Made Funnels

Say I was wonder has anyone evr tried making aman made funnel ???

today I walked in 300 yards a made a fence line with string that funnels all the deer trails goign out from my stand300 yards or so and attempting to direct themright to my stand. the trail to my stand it is set up just like a bob wire fence only higher with 3 rows of string starting at the knee for the first rowthe waste linefor the second row, andchest chin area for the 3rd. I am hoping that by doing this I can funnel the deer right to my stand providing they dont jump my fence or go through it, I set it up before dark for th etraveling deer in the morning. I have read many an article about doing this so I figured I would try it for tommorow. What do you guys think ?? and or has anyone ever tried this before ?? any and all thoughts would be greatly appriciated
Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Man Made Funnels

I have not... but I have often thought about it. Not only with the string but cutting and making paths that funnel from all directions to my stand. Good luck, let us know if it works pr why it doesn't.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brushpiles are very effective too, and their good for the other wildlife in the area, blowdowns are also, i try to hunt a trail around a blowdown, good cover and good funnel. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Ryan.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

well this aint a funnel but it worked for me. we just took a brush hog n mowed like 3 paths threw our woods n now teh deer use them n often offer shot on tehm
Old 11-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have cut cedars downand piled them up to funnel deer into a certain area.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was thinking about making a brush pile funnel today there are atleast three daily use paths that if i blocked them down to my stand it would give me alot of deer to shot at
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Fork Horn

well It worked like a charm and brought a big bodied 4ptr dressed at 125#right to the stand just like planned, So I took my first buck with a bow today in my 3rd season so I was happy as anyhting. I personally was shocked because of the clear cutting the day before and walking through there leaving scentand disturbing the area. But he came right down the line and when shot followed it right back where he came from only went 40-50 yards.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 AM

That is awesome man! Good for you!!

As far as the cutting and stuff, I never get too worked up about cutting myself in a spot. I've "made" unhuntable spots huntable and have killed deer that way more than once. One time I spent what must have been 2 hours making a spot in a crabapple thicket with plans on hunting it in a few days. Long story short. There was a couple hours of daylight left so I went back to the truck to get my bow, returned to the spot and promptly shot an 8 point.

My current best setup is the same way. It is a manmade funnel, but in this case I'm hunting in between two outside fence corners. There wasone decent cherry tree available to hunt this spot and no shooting lanes at all. I spent a half day in there scenting the whole place up with my tree cutting and lane trimming. I had a pole saw with me to make it happen. My buddy thought I was nuts because the spot was littered with rubs and scrapes and he felt I was going to run the deer off. I questioned myself too, but I knew that even though I was stinking the place up, the deer wouldbe forced through this funnel and that's exactly how it's worked.