Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wats better

Old 11-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Default wats better

wats better when deer hunting crossbow, gun, or compound bow???????
Old 11-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: wats better

Personal decision!

Welcome to the forums. That's an interesting first post. Trying to stir the pot?
Maybe you should introduce yourself as your first post.

Me I personal prefer a compound bow, that whats better for me, for others they may not. It's that simple
Old 11-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Define "better". As far as what would be more effecient then its a rifle hands down. Some just don't get the same sort of satisfaction shooting a deer with a rifle than they do with a bow, so for them a bow would be better. All depends on what you want to do. I enjoy both to be honest, except I use a shotgun or a inline ML because you can't use centerfire rifles where I live.

As far as a crossbow and a compound, when you really compare the two the crossbow really doesn't offer you much over the modern compound. People like to make them out as these mythical killing machines you just can't miss with and that couldn't be farther from the truth. The only real advantage you have is not having to draw the bow when the game is in range. They don't really offer better accuracy or range in most cases.

I have owned both, and for a healthy adult I would much rather have a compound over a crossbow. Easier to handle, lighter, more accurate (for me) and much quieter. My opinion anyway.

Paul
Old 11-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever your preference is. I myself shoot a recurve and love it!I could care less aboutcrossbows, shouldn't be used for hunting in my opinion!
Old 11-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

you would need to define being better as in better for what ? its personal preference
Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

For bows I would say compound for me. For guns I would say muzzleloader. Like mentioned before whats better?
If your looking for power, accuracy, distance, and less challengeing then a firearm is your best bet. Any deer you get will still be a great experience.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I could care less aboutcrossbows, shouldn't be used for hunting in my opinion!

Why? I could say the same thing about recurves. If you don't want to use one then don't, but if someone else wants to use one why would you care?

Paul
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I could care less aboutcrossbows, shouldn't be used for hunting in my opinion!

Why? I could say the same thing about recurves. If you don't want to use one then don't, but if someone else wants to use one why would you care?

Paul
How can you say the same thing about recurves? You say that because you can't shoot them or just because your a crossbow nut? You are earning your animal 100 times over compaired to a crossbow!This is a touchy subject with alot of people, me included! I don't beleive in them for many reasons! Here are a few-1. Your pulling a trigger mechanism just like a gun ( I'm not refering to anyone who shoots a release using a compound)2. You don't have to draw your bow 3.You don't have to hold your draw weight. This style of hunting is bad for bow hunting because people compare the 2 wayto much i think. If your not able to pull a bow back because of age or medical reason's, i think the next best thing is going gun hunting then. There isn't much difference between the 2anyways if you ask me. There's a few states out there who don't allow these things.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Spike

You can't compare the three as they are not the same thing. you should not try to compare an apple and an orange. I am a bowhunter and do not hunt with a crossbow. I don't have anything against anyone that does as what really counts is the fact we are outdoorsmen(and women). There is little question a centerfire rifle is the best way to kill a deer. that doesnt make it the best way to do it for me, so really it is a personal decision. I know people that will not hunt with a bow and those that won't hunt with a gun. Maybe it is a good thing that we can choose what is best for us. I have got to admit I look at a deer harvested with a bow in a different light thanone taken with a gun or crossbow. Sounds kinda two faced but I know how hard it is to harvest one with a stick and string. If peoople are a little testy remember this is a bouwhunting fourm and we are a testy lot.