Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA BUCK on the ground

Old 11-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Spike

Default PA BUCK on the ground

Put one on the ground tonight at about 4:15. Nice little basket 8 pointer.

Was sitting in the stand this afternoon from about 1:30 on, and he was the first deer I saw at about 4:00 this afternoon. Hunting on Broad Mtn in Bucannon State Forest, Franklin County. Conditions tonight were not the best, but good none the less. Saw about 2" of snow fall since late yesterday, and very low cloud cover, which does effect that mountain top, and fog.

Got into stand about 1:30 this afternoon for the final evening hunt. Not much action to speak of at all, and was a little less then optomistic with the conditions the way they were. No animals at all until right aroudn 4:00. I just glanced over my shoulder and caught movement. I turned a little harder to get a better look at what the movement was, and at that piont could tell it was a deer.

At this point, no idea what it might be other then I know it was a deer and he was around70 yds out. He had just come up over the ridge I was hunting and heading like he was going across the top and down the other side. I reached for my grunt tube to try and persuade him to come my way, but just as I picked it up he turned toward me and headed in my direction.

As he kept coming that way I put my grunt down and picked up the bow. By now he was at 35-40 yards, walking at a steady pace and heading right for a clear lane I had between two oak trees at about 18 yds. I slowly possitioned myself on that side of the and waited.

A few hours later (seconds really, but seemed like hours) he had made it to the large "Y" trunk tree that was 3 yds in front of my lane, and where I planned on drawing on him. As soon as his head went behind that tree I drew.

I got to full draw, and just like he had read the script, he came out the other side at the same pace and right into the lane. As soon as his front shoulder and vitals came to within sight in my lane I put my 1st pin just under where I wanted the arrow to hit and followed him into the lane. Just a step into what was a 5' wide lane and I grunted at him. He came to a dead stop, snapped his head around to see what the sound was, and my arrow was gone and connected. A few minutes and 40 yards later and he was on the ground!

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow if I can!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: PA BUCK on the ground

congrats...look forward to the pics.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's the way to do it. Enjoy the whole season and at the final bell, put it all together with a story book ending.
Congrats to you.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:28 AM

Good job! Way to hang in there until the end. It's easy to call it quits early onthe last day of the season.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go congrats
Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!