Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Problem. (Help please)

Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Problem. (Help please)

for whatever reason i cannot make a good shot on a deer. I dont get it. Everytime i shoot a deer i ALWAYS hit it too far back, im holding right behind the front shoulder blade and i hit GUTS. I dont know what im doing wrong i shot a doe tonight and man did i ever have a problem on my hands, she was 4 yards 4 YARDS and i still hit her in the guts. WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??? Part of me just wants to give up bowhunting for good. I dont get what this is all about my buck i shot i shot him far back too but i recovered him, then the other week i shot a doe and hit it too far forward!! never recovered that deer, then the first day of Archery season i shot a doe and hit her SQUARE in the guts, diddnt get ANY blood, searched for her for 2 days and never found her, then a week ago i find her laying about 40 yards from where i shot the last doe. I dont get it anyone have any suggestions, i get GREAT groups on the 3D targets and im a pro at estimating yardage so thats not my downfall, and i can shoot anyone who i have hung out with can attest to that. Anyone have any suggestions, i do get excited but im able to calm down by the time its time to do the job. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT!

Ryan.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Spike

Default RE: My Problem. (Help please)

not sure but you should try hanging a stand in your yard or a friends and try shooting from it. make sure you move it around allot and exspecially up close those shots can be tricky. good luck.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is your problem you aim in FRONT of the shoulder blade. J/k i suck too, maybe try a different achor point and a level on your sight, that helped me out a lot when shooting archery.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mainly practice from a treestand, but on the rare occasion i do shoot from the ground i still get very consistant groups. Bullseye in the treestand, high on the ground.

Thanks for the imput.
Ryan.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you possibly peeking to see where you arrow is going after you shoot? That would be my guess! Make sure nothing moves when you release that arrow. When your practicing, act like its a real deer and consentrate very hard.Practice with all your clothing on that you hunt with also.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

never mind I read your post wrong sorry I apologize with the wise crack. Joke is on me now
Old 11-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Are you possibly peeking to see where you arrow is going after you shoot? That would be my guess! Make sure nothing moves when you release that arrow. When your practicing, act like its a real deer and consentrate very hard.Practice with all your clothing on that you hunt with also.
When it gets close to the season we break out the hunting gear, and shoot, and i still hold tight groups, I always sit down and shoot some then stand up and shoot some, climb a different tree get a new angle, dont get me wrong im no fred bear but all the shots will kill a deer for sure, VERY rare do i mess up and pull one, but its like everyone else it happens, but to have it happen this much... well I think you might be right about peeking cause i can never see the damn white arrow hitting the deer so i think i may be looking too hard for it. Thanks for the imput.

Ryan.

p.s. stabnslab_WI its ok buddy.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:57 PM

I did to but on targets... Archery shop owner said I was peeking and sure enough I was. You just have to aim fire and hold bow still after the shot for one full second! it worked for me hope this helps.

Morgan Murphy
Old 11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

I mainly practice from a treestand, but on the rare occasion i do shoot from the ground i still get very consistant groups. Bullseye in the treestand, high on the ground.

Thanks for the imput.
Ryan.
Should be the other way around. High in the stand, and low on the ground.

One thing that has helped me is to go thru steps. Before a shot, I try to tell myself, range, pin, sight alignment, and pull thru the shot. Alot of guys like to grip thier release. I believe it causes them issues. If you don't grip your release, then you pull thru the shot.

I have gone thru my share of bad shots. But if I follow the steps, usually turns out well.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

Thanks for the imput.
Ryan.
My memory is a little hazy, but i hit dead on at 20 in a treestand and same with 30 and 40, wich dosent change the story, the problem is i cant do it on a deer, i can do it on a foam target, but not a deer, i should be able to my setup is dialed in so i just need some help i'll look into my release problem thanks for the suggestion.

Ryan.

Should be the other way around. High in the stand, and low on the ground.

One thing that has helped me is to go thru steps. Before a shot, I try to tell myself, range, pin, sight alignment, and pull thru the shot. Alot of guys like to grip thier release. I believe it causes them issues. If you don't grip your release, then you pull thru the shot.

I have gone thru my share of bad shots. But if I follow the steps, usually turns out well.

Quick Reply: My Problem. (Help please)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.