Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Problem. (Help please)

Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My Problem. (Help please)

Is it possible you are just "aiming" your bow at the deer instead of looking down the peep sight? Alot of people do that with a gun, they point the gun but really dont look down the scope. In all the excitement you might be looking over the peep and at the deer.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's one of 3...maybe ALL 3 of these, your "peeking", or your dropping your bow arm in order to view your shot, or yourunknowingly grippingyour bow as your excitement level increases with each step closer the deer get to within shooting distance.

Have you tried setting up a video camera and filmed yourself shooting?

Is your bow string smacking your jacket?

Are you sighted in with broadheads?

I have heard that those illumanocks havehelped people who can't seem to stop "peeking" because they can pick up the arrow flight without "peeking". Just a idea for you maybe.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

My guess is that what ever you are using to cover your face while hunting is making you not pull your string back to your face close enough when you shoot. The further away the string is from your face while your at full draw the further back on the deer the shot will be. Just my thought. GL.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Spike

I hadthe same problemsmy huntinbuddy helped me .....Went just went over the basics..
1. RELAX !!!!!!!! take a few deep breathes to calm yourself (WE ALL GET BUCK FEVER)

2.Dont pull or jerk the bow away to look where your shot is going!( I bought lumenok this year and they helped they light up awsome)

3. Dont squeeze the bow before your shot ( try to practice w/ your hunting clothes on so you know that your bow string aint gonna hit your jacket/coat and from an elevated stand)

4.Plan your shot b4 it even happens,(When that big boy comes in where you can see him grab your bow and start thinking of when and when your gonna draw and shoot!!!!!)

hope that it helps
Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

All good suggestions. Here is one more: aim for the opposite shoulder, or aim for the exit hole...
-fsh

Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

After many indepth conversations with some of my best bowhunting friends and going by what you guys all think i think i am.

1. Peeking.... i have yet to see an arrow hit a deer and i think im trying to hard.

2. DEER FEVER!!! i get so excited when i see deer because i rarley see them when i hunt.

3. I think i may also be guessing where i am on the deer insted of knowing

4. MY friend who kills big 140's each year told me what he does. he said that he goes 3.... 2..... POW. Thats just how he does it to keep himself calm and make sure that he did everything right he said he cant count the number of times he got to 2 and had to restart because he was doing something critically wrong that if he had just shot instead of counting that would have caused him to make a poor shot on a deer.

I dont know keep the suggestions coming, i do practice with broadheads when it gets close to the season, but i dont know for sure what the problem is. Im gonna try some new stuff. I do practice from a treestand at random yards i have my neighbor move the target around and guess the yardage... anyhow i shoot with my clothes on too even my heavy winter stuff.

Thanks a ton keep them comming.

Ryan.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

Just a thought...Quit trying to watch your arrow and just concentrate on the shot. Good luck to you.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

After many indepth conversations with some of my best bowhunting friends and going by what you guys all think i think i am.

1. Peeking.... i have yet to see an arrow hit a deer and i think im trying to hard.

2. DEER FEVER!!! i get so excited when i see deer because i rarley see them when i hunt.

3. I think i may also be guessing where i am on the deer insted of knowing

4. MY friend who kills big 140's each year told me what he does. he said that he goes 3.... 2..... POW. Thats just how he does it to keep himself calm and make sure that he did everything right he said he cant count the number of times he got to 2 and had to restart because he was doing something critically wrong that if he had just shot instead of counting that would have caused him to make a poor shot on a deer.

I dont know keep the suggestions coming, i do practice with broadheads when it gets close to the season, but i dont know for sure what the problem is. Im gonna try some new stuff. I do practice from a treestand at random yards i have my neighbor move the target around and guess the yardage... anyhow i shoot with my clothes on too even my heavy winter stuff.

Thanks a ton keep them comming.

Ryan.
If you shoot with one eye open....try and shoot with both eyes open, or vice versa.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

One other thing - Have you checked your eye dominance? (http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm)
Could you beleft-eye dominant but shooting right-handed?

-fsh

Quick Reply: My Problem. (Help please)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.