Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whoever said hunting doe was easy...

Old 11-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Whoever said hunting doe was easy...

WAS WRONG!!!!! I am now hunting does and have 7 days left to fill one of my two antlerless archery tags. But how can I fill one if I dont see any does and all I see are bucks????Lastnight I wasnt in the stand more than 15 minutes and heard some walking behind me, i look over my right shoulder and I see a deer, I figured a big doe, I was wrong, darn spike buck. 30 minutes later I hear more walking, look again, another buck....grrrrr.....I no longer turn around and see 5 deer out in the field about 150 yards out.....I could tell 3 were bucks and couldnt really make out the others, they were pretty small anyway. Im thinking yearling does. What the heck gives this year where did all my does go that i was seeing all early season.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whoever said hunting doe was easy...

I have 3 doe tags that could be filled during archery season on my lease. I still have them and archery season is over. The landowner told me to kill does. When I talked to him about not getting it done he didn't care. Said he wanted me to fill all my tags for my benefit. He doesn't care about the herd too much. I'll try to fill a couple of the tags on other properties I have plans to hunt over the next couple of months. But I tell you a mature doe is no slam dunk by any means!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fooling, getting drawn on, and killing a Mature Doe is every bit as hard or harder than killing a Mature Buck. Bucks areusually on drugs when we shoot them anyway. When their antlers are hard they are in Rut

Dan
Old 11-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Truth is bucks are usually ALONE! Does donpt typically travel that way. I've seen about 5 GREAT looking does this year that I'd be extremely proud to take. One was a big ol girl that would probably go 150#'s+. She was definitely the matriarch....and she isn't a dummy, either.

I've had good luck with does, this year (6), but I'm going to do something different, next year....and try to take one maybe two MATURE does. The longer I'm in the woods....the more I think I can age does. I can definitely distinguish fawn and yearling does.....and the 2.5+ are getting easier, too. I'm seeming to see them about the same time I start seeing bucks in my area.

They are every bit as hard to kill, for me (MATURE does). I have zero (mature does) to my name.....but 2 mature bucks (3.5 & 4.5). I hope to change that!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

They are every bit as hard to kill, for me (MATURE does).

Yes, I agree. There are more of them generally, which makes it 'easier' to get one, as opposed to a rairer mature buck....but try to target a particular one that blown your stand in the past?......not so easy.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Yea those ol does are sure a pain to harvest when they mature. They are extreamly smart and always seem to have the one up on me. How ever i have one to my name and several 2.5 year olds.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Anyone who thinks does are easy to hunt has probably never tried hunting them. Anymore I'll shoot a buck if it crosses my path, but when I want a challenge I go doe hunting. Defeating all those eyes, ears, and noses is the most challenging thing I've ever done while hunting.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Doe's are easy to kill in SOME areas like where I live...we have too many

A buddy of mine killed 12 doe's (party hunting) with bow last year
Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't say that..I'm easily at 3:1 or greater in buck sightings this year compared to does. I've passed up 2 shots at doe. Thinking I didn't want to mess things up. Now I only have til NOV 25th to use 2 tags. And this time of year it's tough to shoot a doe..you never know whats behind her.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Whoever said hunting doe was easy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.