Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Incredible display of survival tactics!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Incredible display of survival tactics!

I agree that these olddoe's are probably harder to shoot then a nice buck! I can think of 4 different pope and young bucks that would of been in easy shooting range (15yds) but the doe's winded me in each situationwhen he was hot on her tail! These bucks can be really dumn during the rut!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

That is why I say an old doe is as much a trophy as a mature buck. They all survive the same way, does just dont look as perty hanging on the wall, so many people discount them.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Spike

does can be the toughest deer to draw on, they have a awareness beyond anything, its amazing how good they are at busting you.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love it when the does try to get you to move, or otherwise show them you may be dangerous. I was covered up by 11 does & yearlings, recently. The old doe never really stopped watching me asI sat under some big pines at the back of my place...........eye to eye. There's nothing quitelike being 15 ft from deer trying to decide if you're dangerous............or not. I never did get a shot that day.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

It simply is that maternal does have a very small home range, and they know every tree and rock. She knew that lump in the tree didn't belong. Like if you looked out your window and saw a strange car in your driveway....you would be curious as to what was going on. She was investigating a change to her home environment. Had you turned out to be nothing more than something harmless, she would have taken note of that and not reacted the next time. Like the guy said in Jurassic Park...."They Remember!"
Old 11-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Last saturday I had a doe and a button buck watch me for an hour. I know it was that long because, I used a call, looked at my watch and they both cam down after that. Luckily for me they stopped behind two big trees and I was able to move a little. Another thing, I sit on the ground which made it harder. She was so intense on trying to figure out what was there, stomped, bobbed her head, look away and then back real quick to see if I had moved. After awhile, I think she felt safe. But then a 3 point came by and chased her off. To tell you the truth, I was sore the next day from being still for so long. Almost like I was cramped up. Sometimes, I think they are harder to hunt because they are trying to be aware of everything around them. Once a buck goes in rut, he is oblivious to things around him. I know the 3 point was.