Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Rut...

Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 PM

Default The Rut...

Or lack there of.

Its been extremely slow, I can remember from last season, on the 2nd of November I went hunting in 19 degree temps, and watched a big boy chase does. Today it was 32 degrees this morning, and its going to be in the mid 50's. I watched for the first time this year, a buck dog a doe, but he was a 1.5-2.5 year old buck. So far, I just have not seen the big bucks move all that, well; same early morning, and late evening pattern. This is a late rut for my area, I am, though, looking forward to a good week of hunting over Thanksgiving week, it should plan out perfectly; since the peak may not hit till later next week or weekend, if even then...

Anyone notice this, or is everyone seeing the big boys chasing hard?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Rut...

It has been wierd this year. I shot a very nice 10 pt on 10/30. He came into my grunt/bleat....but was not in a hurry. A couple of nights ago, a nice buck was chasing 2 smaller bucks around in my backyard, and yesterday afternoon, my son and I watched as a NICE 8 point attempted to breed a doe. She was somewhat receptive....I don't know. I am just going to try and get out as much as I can ove the next two weeks and see what happens!!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Bartender

Jeff,

I am sure you are aware of temple land near Gurnee and I drive through there daily on my way to work and
finally seen a nice buck moving about this morning around 9:30. That is my sign that things are starting.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in west central Illinois and I have been seeing some serious rutting action for a solid week now. To me this has been the best year I have ever had hunting the rut.

Two weeks ago I had several bucks come into a decoy, and last week had a 160 inch 10 pointer and 130 inch 8 pointer chasing a doe at 1 in the afternoon. Went on yesterday morning and saw 5 different bucks from dawn until 10:30.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

Jeff,

I am sure you are aware of temple land near Gurnee and I drive through there daily on my way to work and
finally seen a nice buck moving about this morning around 9:30. That is my sign that things are starting.
Not aware of the area, but that is good to hear. I expect this weekend will be good, although they are saying 63 on Monday. Cloudy, rainy... I have good luck in the rain. Most of the bucks this morning moved between 8:30am and 10:30am, but again we are talking 1.5-2.5 year old bucks. I know the big ones are there, but they just don't seem to be cruising yet; maybe I am just in the wrong spot at the right time![:@]
Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Bartender

Tomorrow is the day pal.
ORIGINAL: Jeff K in IL

Jeff,

Not aware of the area, but that is good to hear. I expect this weekend will be good, although they are saying 63 on Monday. Cloudy, rainy... I have good luck in the rain. Most of the bucks this morning moved between 8:30am and 10:30am, but again we are talking 1.5-2.5 year old bucks. I know the big ones are there, but they just don't seem to be cruising yet; maybe I am just in the wrong spot at the right time![:@]
Old 11-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Too bad I can't hunt. Saturday evening I will be though... and Sunday evening, and Monday, and Tuesday...

Tomorrow is the day pal.
ORIGINAL: Jeff K in IL

Jeff,

Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i havent seen any deer where i hunt in a while not even does and no bucks. only squirrels and a few birds. i hope its better next week
Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

jeff , have you thought about hunting from10;00- 2;00 that might be when there moving.A friend of mine called me the other day and say he seen a big 8 out in the wheat field across his drive way ,it was 1;00 when he seen him.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I hunt in SE IL and am having the same confused results as you are. I hear stories of rutting hot and heavy happening in other areas, but I have not seen anything but the little bucks with does, and they are not what you would call "dogging does", just kinda hanging out together. So much for ALL the early rut predictions I read about on this forum a month ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.