Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes, any legal buck
6.59%
somewhat, but not too much lower
35.16%
no i stick to my plan, even if it means tag soup
43.96%
no standards, any legal buck that gives me a shot is fair game
14.29%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

standards...

Old 11-09-2007, 02:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: standards...

Don't shoot a buck on the last day that you wouldn't shoot on the first day. I go in with certain standards for a buck and they don't change from day one through the last day of late archery season. Shooting a young buck does nothing for me. I'd rather eat tag soup every year. It's pretty tasty actually if prepared right [8D].

My problem is I've set the bar on the high end of realistic for my land. Meaning I'm hunting a very low percentage of class bucks roaming my land. Makes it very difficult and challenging, but that's what I'm after. I take solice in the fact that all the lower class bucks that have cruised by me and gotten the free pass were as good as dead. I've learned more by watching deer walk then shooting them. And like this guy says........

I will end with this, shooting a 1.5 or 2.5 will not make me a better hunter, eating tag soup will. My goal every year is to learn more, and be a better mature buck hunter.
Damn Germ that's 2 posts I've read from you this morning that I were my exact thoughts. Kinda creeping me out [:-][8D]
Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 AM

I shoot whatever I want, whenever I want.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 AM

For me, it's never real cut and dry, so in essence,I could use atlasmans post to describe me but I'll expound a bit...

This is forme andnobody else... It all depends on where I'm hunting and how much time I have to put into it. I've passed on a lot of deer over the years and will continue to do so, but at the same time I try to be realistic based upon the time and location factor.

It wasn't always thatway for me. At one time, I ate tag soup for like 5 seasons straight seasons because Iset the bar too high for mygiven circumstances, so I've adjusted my standards accordingly based upon where I am in my life at any given time. Some years I have had lot's of time. Others...not so much.

I like killing deer, so I feel no shame taking a basket racked buck if I feel my personal circumstances dictate that I do. It's still an accomplishment and in my mind something new can be gleaned from every hunt and successful kill regardless of how long I've been at this. The first little buck I fooled and successfully put down years ago with a decoy setupis every bit as important to me as any other, and I came away as a better hunter for it. There are many that have hunted for a long timeand never taken a buck with bow and arrow. I feel fortunate and thankful to have had some success.Every one is still a rush for me knowing that I put myself in position to get "lucky".

I guess what I'm saying is sometimes the deer I look to shootthis yearwould have gotten a pass last year due to personal circumstance. It's a fluid situation for me.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

In PA - I'll lower my standards, just b/c passing up legal bucks is pointless here. Everything gets slaughtered anyway (at least in the areas I hunt). For a legal buck to survive rifle season, he better have 2 horseshoes up his ass, and a mouthfull of 4-leafed clovers. Same with the areas I hunt in Northern WV. It's a slaughterhouse.

Now in Ohio - I haven't lowered my standards, and probably won't. Put 12 hrs in the stand yesterday, and passed on another gorgeous 4x5. Just not the deer I'm looking for. Passed up 2 other bucks too. If I was in PA, and the sun was setting on my '07 season - I'd have been dragging. Not a shadow of doubt in my mind.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Today and all weekend I'm hunting with the recurve. Standards are anything with antlers now.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

I don't really have standards. I hunt heavily pressured public land mostly, so each deer I see is automatically a shooter because I may not get a second chance at another deer. I've only passed on deer a handful of times, and that's always been because I haven't felt comfortable with the shot presented (with gun or bow).
Old 11-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate tag soup, but I think last season, 06 showed I stick to my plans.

I'll add, my standards change based on my objectives and priorities. For example when I go to ND this winter to bowhunt late season. I will get there, asses the situation and make a plan based on what I am up against. I simply shoot what makes me happy and with so many different species to hunt and for various reasons...filing the freezer, challenge, new area versus one I know like the back of my hand. etc.. I make adjust standards..or set a standard accordingly.