Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What reaction do you have to deer??

Old 11-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Default What reaction do you have to deer??

This is for the guys that have taken numerous whitetails. Especially seceral big bucks. Do you guys stillshake and shiver and get very nervous, or do you calm more as the deer gets closer. And then get all "shook up" like Elvis after the shot. I don't get the shakes anymore, until after the shot. It is strange, the last several nice bucks have actually calmed me down when I knew they were coming to me. Can't really explain it. After I shot, I was a nervous wreck.... anyone feel this way??
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What reaction do you have to deer??

Generally nervous at first. Settle down as the moment of truth nears.. Babbling idiot afterwards.

Although I will admit..with todays hunt pending I've been a nervous wreck all day!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 AM

It seems that everyone is a bit different for me. I tend to get more rattled when a buck just takes forever to get to me than the buck that just comes right in and autopilot takes over.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never taken a "monster", but I have been shot at, gone skydiving,been rock climbing and been a firefighter. Few things get my pulse up like a deer heading my way (buck or doe). It is just the nature of the hunt. I think that is part of my problem this year. I have had a lot more time to hunt this year than past years and I find myself being so fascinated in the deer I see that I often miss their "partners in crime" until I am busted. That is alright, though. I love watching deer.
Dominant Buck

I'll chime in....as a somewhat novice (how many is "mumerous"?)

I've taken 13 with the bow....including bucks the last two years at 3.5 and 4.5 yrs old, respectively. I actually thought I missed the 3.5 yr old, last year....and didn't get down for 2 hours. I moved my stand for the afternoon hunt.....then retrieved my arrow (To find that I in fact had a buck down, somewhere). I never had a chance to get excited about the shot or whether or not I'd taken the buck.

Tuesday morning....I saw my buck go down....and I was an emotional wreck. I was shaking like a leaf AFTER the shot. I was pretty calm during the time I was getting ready to shoot, but once he was dead.....I was pretty shook up.

Nontypical Buck

I get nervous just as the buck steps into my shooting lane, once i draw im ok, then after i shoot i better hang onto any nearby tree...
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, although mybrain tries to do cartwheelsI can control my physical actions easier the last few years. Once a shooting oportunity nears i get that wonderful 'ice' calm. I get more shook up when deer are just outside of bow range actually.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

I love that nervous adrenaline pump...If it ever stops I'll stop hunting
Old 11-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I’ve always been more on the calm side even as a novice when a deer was coming in. After the shot or even an encounter that didn’t materialize into a shot, I would get pretty jittery.

Now anymore regarding does, I don’t really get excited even after the shot, its very matter of fact for the whole situation.
When I have a big buck coming in I am very calm and focused. Once I see it go down I lose it a bit and shake like crazy. It’s BAD.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted deer for 36 years and killed quite a few.....but, anytime I see a deer, even a little one, my heart starts racing and I get excited. When I stop doing that, it is time for me to stop hunting.

Quick Reply: What reaction do you have to deer??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.