Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck of a lifetime?? ALMOST.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Buck of a lifetime?? ALMOST.

Funny we talked about it and less than an hour later it almost happenend. Tonights hunt. I slip out of work early by 10 minutes. I climb a tree that I've wanted to hunt all year on a farm that hasn't been hunted except once in the early early season. It takes a perfect wind. I need NE Or NW for 2 stand locations. Tonight is NW. No sooner do I climb the tree pull up the bow..RANGE a few areas. Then turning to secure my self to the tree (yeah yeah I know). I glance and see a Buck coming around the edge of the corn. It's an 8 pt just outside the ears. Bigger than a basket rack but not huge. He has no white throat patchbut is white from the middle of the gut back, including both rear legs &rump with one white front leg. A Piebald buck! He stares behind me, scent checking a field the wind is quartering so he doesn't catch my scent. No exaggeration he stares for a minimum of 15 minutes, I have a tree between us I can use as a shield. At ONE point I have a shot at 40 yards. But 2 limbs make it dicey. Besides he's not the least spooked so I don't know what may unfold. He turns and walks to my left along a tree line. Now no shots are possible, I can see his white body going through the trees. He circles to a back cut corn field. and disappears after he is out of sight a couple grunts from me produce nothing. I see a doe come out the opposite direction from the standing corn, She moves into the field.
20 minutes before dark I see a deer exit another block of woods behind me. Heading for the doe.. was it?? I stand on the seat of my climber (yeah I know, I'm still not strapped to the tree) It's him! he heads for the doe. She is going away from me. He loses interest pretty quick she must not be ready. She moves on he stands in the field. I Grunt..he's coming. He hangs up at about 60 yards again just staring. Just as dark sets in he exits the field towards my truck. I climb down hike out the opposite way. Call my wife to pick me up so I can later go get my truck! I didn't want him to know he was being pursued at all! He was unbelievable..I'm still psyched my wife just keeps looking at me, laughing at me..saying you'll be worthless till tomorrow huh? YEP!

He was checking every edge, every field, I hope it's a routine he sticks too!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck of a lifetime?? ALMOST.

good luck man...go get em!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just make sure you have every thing you need for good team pics in your pack.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh I'm ready!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Now THAT'S a great story! I can't wait for the next chapter!

Good luck with him, Bob.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call in sick GR8!!! Thats awesome, what a cool evening. Could you imagine, that would be incredible if you take him.

Dont be like me, I completely forgot the Germ Warfare picture we were suppossed to take. I'll do it withmy next deer even though it wont count for the contest, will still be funny, Im sure Germ will appreciate it.I still have it in my backpack.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Geez, i hope you have room for a full body mount. That would be incredible to see!!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great encounter/hunt. Good luck with him. I'm pullin for ya!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

We want pics, of you kneeling behind him.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM

good luck

Quick Reply: Buck of a lifetime?? ALMOST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.