Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

getting out!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Default getting out!

There is a post out there about when to get in the woods. Some like GMMAT, are walking in for the morning hunt while others are walking out from the evening hunt. "I sleep like a champ in my climber" . JK GMMAT my turn to give you ****. But when does everyone walk out of the woods at night. Do you get out as soon as you can't shoot. Do you wait till pitch black or what?

Personally as soon as camera light is gone or when I can't see my pins through my peep... I am out of there unless deer are infront of me. I see no reason to risk kicking deer out just to "see" what comes in all night. ORleaving my scent in the woods longer than I have too.And deer are on the move more at night than during the day, so i figure don't stay in longer than needed.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: getting out!

Same here. I usually head out shortly after sunset unless I have company. Then, I wait for them to move on before I move on.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get down when I can't make a good shot..Sometimes thats the legal hours and sometimes it's earlier. Depends on the skies and the area I'm hunting (thick woods it's dark much earlier).

A couple times this year I've been trapped till well after dark by deer feeding under and around me. I'll try an exit when none are near. Sometimes they just won't leave, and I'm not gonna spend the night in the stand.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to draw once to see if I could make out my peep. If I couldn't.....I knew it was time to pack up. Thing is....it was still light enough to see a "little". I always used this extra little bit of light to get out of the woods.

When I was hunting with Rob/PA, last week.....I noticed he staye dput until dark. I mean DARK. So....I got to thinking about it. If I get down before darkness....I'm giving any deer in the area a chance to "make" me. They see REALLY well in low-light conditions (just the conditions I'm describing)....and they have a great advantage in that light vs. darkness. In darkness....I don't think they can discern what we are.

Also.....If I have ANY light...I can still glass. I'd hate to be able to see a big buck coming and him "make" me coming down a tree or packing up my gear.

Same reason I use the darkness to get "in", now....I use it coming "out".
Old 11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm out as soon as I can't see my pins,unless pinned down by nearby deer I don't want to spook. Sometimes lowering the bow will get them to leave w/o spooking them.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coyote call....thats all i gotta say!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I can't see I like to leave as long as there aren't any deer around.