Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing stand questions??

Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Climbing stand questions??

I'm a newbie to using a climber, this year I've hunted out a climber maybe 7 times. I'm using a Summit my dad bought a couple years back. I love the stand, but I'm not sure how to set the correct tension at the bottom of the tree. Sometimes when I get to my desired height the platform is slanted up or down or occassionally spot on level. Saturday night I was 20+ and the platform was slanted up, 6 does were less than 15 yards away one had a broke front leg and walked with a bad limp. As I stood up to take her out, the stand creeked and spooked all 6. I'm assuming the creek came from the misaligned platform, b/c it's never happened before. At the bottom the of the tree I have to set the platform in a very awkward position to get it level as the trees diameter is smaller near the top. Please help, I've got a hot area with 14 scrapes within 40 yards but I don't have time to hang a stand and the climber is my only option.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing stand questions??

You have to just figure out the stands setup through trial and error, and learning your climber. I too have a summit. I just look at the base, and up the tree, and can figure how much upward lean I have to set it at to get the perfect level at the top. I'm right on 90% of the time. Just takes some practice. Far as noise, yes its best for them to be level, and make sure theswivel covers for the cables are pushed all way over the top. Mine will make noise climbing up & down if not pushed over top of cable. Once I'm up top, make sure stand is set snug into the tree, both top & bottom. Test it a little by moving around the platform. Of course wear a safety harness also.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its actually recommended that your stand be slightly angled up for safety purpose. but the main thing is to make sure the stand is firmly seated and snug when you get up. Sometime me and my buddy carry an extra cambuckle strap if we think we need some extra support we can throw one on with minimal noise. Just keep at it.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

DT249- how do you adujust when ur in the tree? Front sitting obviuosly but do you face away from the tree and swivel in the seat? I have thought about doing it too, but can't really figure out a good way.
Thanks guys for all the replies.