Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

Old 11-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

I can see a day when this may happen. Do any of you guys stop hunting.....even though you still have tags to fill?

Lisa and I were talking today.....and I may not hunt NEARLY as much, next year. I'm learning that the hot weather hunting is NO FUN. It's also not a great idea for ecovery purposes.

My woods, here, are beginning to be just awesome. I might wait a pretty good while to start hunting next year.....or maybe just hunt some mornings until the temps get right. I've seen more deer in the last 2 days than Iknow saw in the month of October. It would likely be a tough thing to do mentally.....but the fun factor would be over the top.....and the comfort (temps) factor would be highly more desireable.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

Every year after I kill a nice buck, my hunting slows considerably. For instance, I have been out only one morning since I killed my buck on the 20th of Oct.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

You are right there, itwas aworm start of the season. I only hunted in the morning and some evenings, but the evenings where just to worm, not to mention fighting off all the masquetos in the evening. The middle off this week is going to be much better with highs only in the 40's. But my buck tag is filled and we only get one. I do have a doe tag but I might wait till gun season to use that. Knowing my luck a monster 10 point will come see me and I wont be able to shoot it.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I here ya Jeff about the early season temps thing. Man 90 degree hunts to me are just no fun. If, like you said, you do shoot a deer (heaven forbid a nice buck) and have a bad hit, the spoilage issue just irks me. I too am thinking of only hunting mornings early season and maybe a few evenings depending on the weather trend at the time. It is just something about cool/cold mornings that make a hunt go down a lot smoother. As far as tags go, we don't purchase per tag. Our license comes with 6 tags (buck or doe) for the season, so you really are buying them whether you want to or not.

LT
Old 11-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have twenty years of unused doe tags, here in PA its one and you are done,it makes that one special. I have never hunted to kill any thing, I have killed to say I have been hunting.

And of course they taste just like chicken.

That really sounds bad dosen't it.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not really impressed with the amount of doe i am seeing this year in PA. I am hanging it up and eating the doe tags for this season.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

in your situation, starting later wouldnt much bother me...you start pretty early to begin with...and id bet your season runs longer than most...and dont have the pressure my areas recieve so you can bowhunt till season ends with success...

in my shoes, i dont stop hunting from day 1 of bowseason, till the middle of january when flintlock season ends...BUT, rifle season i dont bow hunt..either flintlock or rifle..(might build a slug gun..rifle is just loosing its spark with me) and flintlock/late bow season i carry the flinter...but bowhunting has my heart in a lasso thats for sure...though flintlock hunting does as well...if i ever find an area i know i can see good success in rifle or the late season, id surely take the bow...but i dont know i'll ever find that area without owning land in PA...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't start hunting until late October when the pre rut gets going unless they give out management tags in the area i'm hunting. I don't like to be in the deep part of the woods early in the season any more then i have too when shooting doe's. If we got more tags to use where i hunt i could probably relate to what your sayingJeff.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Bawana.....I've hunted to kill this year....and I have a confession to make. This year (If I had to assess it, right now) hasn't TOUCHED last year in terms of "fun". It's been more like work. I've been two weeks without shooting at a deer.....and I've had more fun in these past 2 weeks than in the previous two months, combined. Friday and Saturday I saw a TON of deer. Although I would have taken a buck Friday and a big old doe the same day....it didn't pan out....and I left the woods absolutely thrilled.

Rob and I were talking the other day. If I can get my son and a few select guys to take the does out for me, next year.....I'd like to hunt for ONE doe and ONE buck....and pace my season on that. I have a personal commitment to a family to donate them some meat.....but I'm sure I can get some guys to help out with that, too.

I "think" I'd love to try that.....if I can get the mgmt. part done by others. I've seen some REALLY big does (relative to this area....but pushing the 140# range) the last two days, including one matriarch that I'd love to have taken. She was a big beautiful old girl...and woud be a trophy to anyone.

I'm rambling.....but I don't see me doing what I'm doing for many years. Plenty tried to tell me.....and they were right.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:23 PM
bigcountry

I only kill what I eat. My family eats 4 deer a year pretty easily. In my opinion its a bunch of crap when I see guys struggling to give away thier deer, especially gun season when the butchers and donating houses won't accept any more, and then you see em go back out hunting. And most of the time they are giving away does and 4pts. I don't get it. Huge waste. Hunters for the hungry is a good program, but what some don't know is, alot of that meat goes to waste at the end of the season due to lack of places to store the meat.

Quick Reply: Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.