Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

I hunt all three of the months that Virginia gives me.....for me, I hunt with increasing intensity from October through the third week of November...then I slow down a bit for a couple of weeks, then I start picking it back up in Mid December, I love the late season. I have learned I believe how to pace myself so that I enjoy the hunt. Like everyone else, sitting day after day from sun up to sundown can be really tough for me....but this week, from Tuesday through Friday I will be a sunup to sundown guy....something is gonna get the Muzzy MX-3 through it!

shadow
Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt till the law says I cannot hunt anymore. I love to hunt in the late season. I usually have the woods if not the whole county to myself and the deer are keyed in on food supplies again. I just hope we get some snow to hunt in this year.

I have never filled all of my allowed buck tags in a season. So that keeps my out there. Besides that, I killed my best scoring buck ever on Jan. 2, 2000
Old 11-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope i hunt till the tags are full at my age i hunt as much as i can for as long as i can cuz i know once i get a job and a family huntin' time will be harder to come by! My family has no problem eating 4-5 deer maybe more. We don't even buy beef anymore!If i still am going to have deer left in the freezer when huntin' season rolls around i throw a couple of big ole parties and cook deer meat all night long!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:06 PM

I can kill 8 deer here. It is very rare that I kill more than 2 a year.. I just enjoy hunting... I like to kill 1-2 does and then hunt for the buck..
Old 11-04-2007, 08:13 PM

i hunt all the way till mid january when bow season goes out...then its on to predator and duck hunting. then spring turkey. then bowfishing and deer scouting. then deer opens back up first weekend of september....its a cycle.

ill likely never quit hunting till seasons out unless im tagged out on a buck and a doe before that. i have no interest shooting a doe in the hot weather of early season, and when it starts cooling off into the colder weather the rut kicks in, which makes me pass on doe opportunites in hope of a trailing buck. so fora doe, im hoping for opportunities in december or january. anything before then im hunting for my buck.

we can take 1 buck here, and up to three does. or just four does. i will only take two deer a year in a best case scenario, because you must buy an additional antlerless permit to take the last two deer. the first doe and buck are included on your first permit.

this year ill be happy to stick any doe or any buck that meets my standards. ive held off for too long and i HAVE to stick something this year.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

I wish my son was into deer hunting as much as dear hunting. I'd love for him to take all the does we need to get out of the herd.
Take heart about your son. Mine is now 26 and has never shot a deer, but now is taking more interest in hunting. He went with me twice this weekend ......saw 6 once and 7 the next but never got off a shot. He was determined not to shoot the spike buck which offered him the only shot. Hopefully next weekend. He said he had a great time and even helped me move a stand I set up in an area for only him to hunt.

For the original question..........I usually keep hunting until the end of season here, but I do not kill the amount of deer you do(we only eat about two). I don't hunt early much, I hate hot weather hunting. I've shot a mature doe so far and am working toward getting a shot at a mature buck(140's), the rut is picking up here with the peak within a few days. I'll keep hunting until the wife lets me know I am overdoing it, then I will slow down.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

I usually hunt if I have a tag, and whatever I get/don't get, I get/don't get . I love jerky, and usually make as much of it as I can out of a deer, and I have several people that call me every year asking for deer meat. So "use" of meat is never an issue.

But this years it's a little different. The EHD struck my favorite hunting areas, so I'm gonna slow down on the harvesting. Usually I have 2-3 bow kills by the end of Pa's season, I think think this year I'm stopping at one.Then I'll do a "head count" during gun season and see what the herd looks like once other hunters start moving them. If I see a pile of does like I used to, I'll take one. If not, I'll get an early start on the indoor spot season and turkeys. I got a new gun and new target bow to try out..

Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I wish my son was into deer hunting as much as dear hunting. I'd love for him to take all the does we need to get out of the herd.
haha, its allllll about managing time. i manage to do both, but struggle to keep gas in the truck. $3 per gallon, and to top it off my truck drinks it at a rate of 11-12 mpg[:'(]
Old 11-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

My first year hunting, I didn't get a deer until the last day of (rifle) season so it was a mute point.

The last couple years, I stopped after taking one deer even though I had tags remaining because I just didn't have the time in my schedule to get out in the woods (short rifle season only).

This year, my first year bowhunting, I know I'll eat tags. I only want to take two deer and my archery license comes with 3 tags (1 buck, two antlerless). If I buy a rifle license to be able to gun hunt with friends, that will come with a buck tag and an antlerless tag.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I make sure I never run out of tags so I can stay in the woods all season . I'll be in the woods everyday even if I've already taken the amount of deer or a certain buck I planned on taking. I'll always have a tag left so I can be in the woods legally. I'm hunting mornings and afternoons from day one of archery season until the very last minute of late archery season. I'm the only whacko left in the woods in the tri county area in late archery. I guess people don't like hunting in -20 degree temps and after months of pressured deer. I think it's awesome.

Quick Reply: Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.