Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

Jeff I knew you'd come around the hunt is about quality friends ,family and all the rest.

You have a nobal goal, but I will not challange my ethics for what others say is right. Its one and I'm done.one good one then geese pay a heavey toll.

Good luck ,Jim
Old 11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

No...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

NO, but the longer I have hunted and the more deer I've killed the less I really worry about such thing. I have a bow tag that's unfilled and an new piece of property that's not hunted and I've seen deer in the fields on a regular basis. The season ends in that zone in a couple weeks and all I've done is glassed. Instead of hunting I spent 5 days salmon fishing and golfing and helping my brother rake his leaves etc. I've said every day lately... What a great day to be 20 feet up in the deer woods. I really can't get all excited about filling those tags. I'll get a deer somewhere along the way with the bow or gun or muzzleloader or something. I hunted Fri afternoon and all day Saturday. I had a great time. I had some deer that must have lost their noses. I had6 deer last night 10 yards away, down wind and they never spooked. By the way, I was behind a small split crotched tree 10 feet from a corn field. These deer were in about the 4th row. They stared, smelled and looked in all directions. I couldn't figure what the deal was. There was about a 10 mile an hour wind blowing on the back of my neck. They had come out in the field 100 yards away, walked to within 50 and ducked into some wild apples. They were in there for an hour, walked out 30 yards away and came right to me at 10 yards. One wopper doe, a small dow, a spike and 3 fawns. I wonder if all the apples they pigged out on screwed up their noses. They finally walked out in the field about 30 yards away and it got dark. I was sitting on a folding stool. I stood,cleared my throat as I'd been in still mode for over20 minutes. I folded my chair, stepped out in the corn and they stood there. I thought they must be high. I started walking back to my buddies hunting camp and they ran out in the corn another 30 yards. They were still there as I disappeared over the hill. I just didn't care about filling the tag. I'vepassed up3bucks my last night in Ohio 2 years ago and carried my tag home to Maryland. I don'tquit hunting, but maybe don't worry about an unfilled tag. As the season progresses I start to broaden my play time to include other things like helping my brother rake leavestoday as he'd been at salmon camp a week and his trees had covered the lawn with tons of leaves. It's not quitting....it's changing gears and having some balance in life.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

For the record...I ALWAYS have somewhere for the meat to go. That's never an issue.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Host of Hosts

I usually follow the one and done rule myself. However this year the farm I hunt is overloaded with does. The farmer really wants me to take one or two out of there. I will help him with one, but not 2. I have a DMAP for his property and my doe tag is for the same WMU.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

If im holding tags, im in it till the end. As for hot weather hunting, i agree it sucks. I may even wait a little longer next season.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

i only hunt mornings when it is over about 70 i sweat alot after about 75 or so just seating i plan to hunt tuesday and not stop untill i get aleast one doe i like meat so does not matter which doe or buck after i get two i might slow alittle
Old 11-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Well I usually have a Tag or two left.But I usually have 4-6 Deer in the Freezer.

big rockpile
Old 11-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Site Buck Guru

All the time. Between Ill And Wi, I get 6 tags. I can only eat 2-3 deer/year so I usually stop when I get my fill.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm in a little different situation .....with the herd dynamics, here. I NEED to kill does. I could take the easy way out and just shoot what I want to.....and I haven't necessarily ruled that out. I would love to have a little bit of help. I'm not above going with someone in my woods next year and just watching......pointing out what to take and what not to. I wish my son was into deer hunting as much as dear hunting. I'd love for him to take all the does we need to get out of the herd.

With as many does as I've seen in the last few days.....I wonder if I'm doing any good. If I told you how many sightings I had Fri. and sat......you wouldn't believe me. I know I saw some of the same does multiple times.....but I counted 23 does, Friday....and between 35 and 40 on Saturday MORNING. I sighted9 does, Saturday evening....along with a few BB's and a 1.5 yr old buck. One other unknown buck was sighted chasing some of the does out of the woodlot.

I could sit back and let them do whatever they're gonna do.....but I'm naive enough to think I can make a difference. It might take a few years to find out I can't (or can). I don't know anyone in my situation that's been successful. That's the problem.

Quick Reply: Anybody stop hunting with tags still in your possession?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.