Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mathews Genesis Kinetic Energy Hunting

Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Mathews Genesis Kinetic Energy Hunting

I am wondering if the Mathews Genesis youth bow would have enough energy to hunt with? Deer? What would a arrow, broadhead setup look like? Carbon arrows? 75g broadheads? How could one get the most energy out of this little bow??

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:49 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mathews Genesis Kinetic Energy Hunting

Go to Mathews site there are mathew reps. on there that can help you. People are very helpful on that site.Mathews.com/
Old 11-03-2007, 08:33 PM

Neb, you were right, those people are very helpful. It turns out my state has a miniumum of 40lb draw weight at a 28" draw.

Here is the response I got within 5 minutes:

What are your thoughts on hunting[/b] with the Mathews Genesis[/b]? If a young teenager were to use this bow with it set at 25lb draw weight and a 28" draw length would their be enough kinetic energy to harvest whitetail deer at average yardage 10-30yds?

What arrows/setup would you recommend for this? Carbon (brand)? Broadhead weight? Sights, peeps, silencers, etc.?

Any info would be great. Back to top
PA_MATHEWS_MAN
Just Above Admin

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:06 am Post subject: [hr] Not Legal Here in PA..And If it was,I wouldn't recommend it....But that's just Me

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:11 am Post subject: [hr] That is not a good idea at all.

Even though my state does not have a legal minimum, which it should, I won't let my son go after deer until he can shoot 40 lbs consistently at 20 yards.

He's at 37 lbs now but it won't be until next season before he is allowed to go with my permission. Back to top
Nippers

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:11 am Post subject: [hr] Not legal here in AK.......maybe for rabbits and squirrels, but not anything considered "big game".

I'd check if there's a weight restriction (for the bow's draw weight) and if he's legal there, then I'd make sure he's proficient with the Gen and broadheads. As for shafts, I'd use any of the youth carbons........like the ones carbon express has, and gold tip

I don't know what the regs say in your area, but many that I've heard has been a minimum of something like 35lbs for the minimum draw weight on deer

LH SBXT: LH A7: LH BM2
and way too many toys to go along Back to top
jeronimo

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:11 am Post subject: [hr] for small game it would be ok but for deer , it wont give you enough penetration. here in quebec it must be 40# minimum. if he can draw 28" he should be able to pull at least 40 #.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:12 am Post subject: [hr] Not legal here in CT either.
Definately check your local game laws. Most states have at least a 40lb minimum limit to deer hunt.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:14 am Post subject: [hr] Good call:
After checking the regs, in Massachusetts-

4. Bows used for hunting[/b] purposes shall have a minimum pull of 40 lbs. at 28 in. draw, provided that compound bows and recurved bows shall have a minimum pull of 40 lbs. at peak draw. Back to top
RickyM

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:16 am Post subject: [hr] Looks like you got your answer, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:21 am Post subject: [hr] Thank you all! Back to top
Nippers

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:25 am Post subject: [hr] Forgot to add, to the forum....

And I did check that Hawaii was 30lbs for compounds at 28" draw, and here it's 40lbs, and Oregon was also 40lbs for what is considered "big game" at least the smaller ones, the larger ones are have a 50lb min

LH SBXT: LH A7: LH BM2
and way too many toys to go along Back to top
machinegun74

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:30 am Post subject: [hr] Some states have a minimum draw length too?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:27 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Glad to help you out. There's many times the service people and just people that work for Mathews are on there answering questions for people that need to know something about their mathews bow. It is a very good site if you want to learn and know the mathews bows.