Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which smartwool socks?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which smartwool socks?

After hearing about the smartwool socks, I decided to buy some. So I got on their website and there are dozens of choices available. I don't even know where to start. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Looking for a medium weight sock. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which smartwool socks?

I have a couple pair of the Smartwool Hiking Crew socks... Don't remember right off hand if they are the light/med/heavy.... Great socks though - love mine!

Under Armour makes some performance socks as well and I have a couple pair of those - those are great socks too.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, thanks. I'l check out the under armour socks.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

[:@]I just posted in the hunting gear forum about smartwool socks. I bought the extra-heavy hunting socks and my feet froze. The problem is they dont wick the moisture/sweat. My socks were soaked and my feet were frozen when I got home. Best ones I have found so far are the redhead extreme cold socks from bass pro.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Aswith all other aspects of cold weather clothing, layering is the key. I ski between 40 and 60 days a year in all conditions from -30 with wind to 60 and slushy and I use only one pair of socks, the smartwool lightweight socks. Because its an active sport the blood is always pumping and the feet very rarely get cold. While on stand I use the same pair of socks, the wicking feature is the key. When it goes below 45 or so, I'll throw another pair of socks of varying thickness(depends on temps) over the smartwools. Sweat is the enemy, and dont wear a sock a second time due to the fact that the dried salt from your sweat will attract moisture, and moisture(sweat) will make your feet cold.