Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer vision?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Deer vision?

Ok, what is it with this UV-sport wash and UV-killer? I thought deer see black and white? Is that not so? I thought your camo only "glowed" if it was old and been washed numerous times. Does anyone use the wash and killer? Does it prolong the color of your garments? Is is scent free?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:52 AM

Default RE: Deer vision?

I use that sport wash, with no u-v. Supposedly it works. I tested it with the blacklight we use for halloween decor,against a regular washed camo shirt that I wear just bummin around the house, didnt see much differance, but there was a slight change. As far as the scent free question, the wash is pretty darn good...I go directly from the washer to the backyard....let air dry and then into a scent free bag till it gets time to hit the stand. With the bisquit in the bag....lol...it really does smell like leaves and stuff when you open the bag.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer vision?

Deer have reduced color perception compared to us, but they aren't totally color blind. They can percieve blue, violet, yellow, and green well, and orange to a lesser degree. Once the light shifts toward the red end of the spectrum their accuity drops quite a bit and they begin to see in grey scale. This was taken from a university study that somebody posted a few years ago, it illustrates approximately how game animals see light:

Note how well deer see into the ultraviolet spectrum, so check your hunting gear with a blacklight to make sure you aren't "glowing" when they look your way. I checked mine recently, my brand new snow camo and a blaze camo parka both glowed rather brightly, my other clothing didn't other than a few tiny specks of lint they picked up from the dryer. Applying UV killer will negate the glow, using a detergent like Sportwash that doesn't have UV brighteners will help keep them dim.