Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

trail cam questions

Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default trail cam questions

I had a trail camera set up on a ridge that I wanted to hunt. The first few days that I had it up it took lots of pictures of deer and some nice bucks. The deer seen on the camera have been going down so that the last few days I have gotten no pics. I shot a deer not far from it this weekend and think the trampsing around in the area looking for my deer may have spooked em away but there were less and less deer in the trailcam each time I checked it. Does the flash spook em? They didn't seem to be TOO alarmed at the flash. I pulled the camera and am going to put it on another trail I am going to hunt. How far off the trail do you put the camera? I had mine about 10-15' or so.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Default RE: trail cam questions

It's hard to say....if you were trapsing around all over the woods looking for your deer, that could have spooked them out of the area for a while (scent).

As for the flash spooking the game, I don't think it's anything detrimental. Do you use a digital or old style 35mm? I think noise would be more of a factor.

As for me, I personally don't like to have the camera close to my stand locaitons, cause I'd rather have my stand locations be as natural as possible.

For the distance from the trail, sounds about right...
Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds like you're checking it too often.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 PM

i check mine once a week, if not every 2 weeks. i have mine about 5-8 feet off the trail
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, that's about what I was thinking. I am going to let it sit for a week or so. There's really no sense in letting it sit longer than that since the firearm guys will be invading the woods about then. I pulled the camera the other day so some slob doesn't walk off with it. Some of my other spots will have to produce until then.