Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many consecutive days in each stand?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many consecutive days in each stand?

Ok the past two nights I've been hitting a stand between two bedding areas in the evening. Upon entering monday there was a fresh scrape and rub along the entrance from the field down to my stand (the rub and scrape were just about 10yds in so they are most likely done at night time. Saw 5 doe that night. Sat there this evening and when I entered the woods a new tree was rubbed about 10yards down in past the other rub (so even though this is being done at night, I know there's a buck in the area). I saw two deer tonight just as it was getting very dark. I was really trying to put antlers on one of them but couldn't see too well and they stayed behind me in the thick stuff. The only reason I'm thinking it was a buck/doe pair, is once they were behind me and out of site, I heard them running then stop and then run again like a chase. So my question is, I really feel like this stand could produce at least a buck sighting (if they would stop coming out at last light) if I keep at it. I haven't been busted going in or out, I'm very careful with my scent, but I'm just worried about overhunting it. Should I just keep going in night after night as long as the wind stays in my favor? I neew a WSW or W wind for this stand. Tomorrow I think the winds are supposed to be SSE at 10-15mph, so I guess this may be out of the question. I have two stands I feel I'm just going to concentrate on for the next two weeks. My East/Southern wind stand and this stand between the two bedding areas. I'm certainly seeing the does (I have only gone maybe a handful of nights this season without seeing any does on stand), but really I feel like a buck is never going to come along[:@] Suggestions?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many consecutive days in each stand?

If you have buck activity I would hunt it. Sounds like your in a good spot.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wanted to add that tonight I was out on the porch and heard at least one coyote calling out in the direction of my east/south wind stand. If I hunt that tomorrow, would their presence there tonight affect the deer movement?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year Matt, I had limited buck activity in my after work areas. I saw the same does night in and night out. Stay with them, sooner or later they will bring you the buck. DON'T get off of your does now, this is when having them around pays off in your search for your buck.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there any way you can get deeper into the woods? Maybe then you can get a shot before it is to dark.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tkycaller

Is there any way you can get deeper into the woods? Maybe then you can get a shot before it is to dark.
I could go deeper, but they come out in varying spots and the only way I would be able to catch them any earlier is to go into the real thick stuff where they're bedding and it's just too risky for me. I'm about 50-60yds inside the woodline right in a pocket of open hardwoods surrounded by very thick vegetation on both sides. This location allows me to intercept them coming out in varying locations (and they do...the does tonight came out about 50yds away from the ones on Monday night).

Another side question, if the winds are light and variable but easterly/southerly in nature, should I still risk it, or go hunt my other stand? I just feel like this stand is my absolute BEST stand right now. The other one has does nearby and I known large 8 point, but still not as good of location in my eyes as this stand.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like we're going to have a SE wind today, at about 10-15mph, so it looks like I'm going to go try my other stand tonight. Any thoughts on the coyote activity I heard last night?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would notworry about the yotes, they deal with them day in an day out. Unless there are alot of them in a small area an they are really messingup an area.