Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Satellite bucks?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Satellite bucks?

Over 10 years ago, I read an article of which I forgot the authors name. It was about mature bucks and all their different personalities. Some are complete loners, others are more social etc. One of the traits he noticed was that some of the mature bucks tolerated the company of a young, subordinate buck. He called them satellite bucks. These young bucks hung around the older buck and basically went everywhere together. Often the young buck was the first on the scene to check things out. If things were kosher, the big guy would saunter over and take things from there. I'm sure this was because of the young bucks curiosity and eagerness to explore. Not that the big buck sent him over to make sure things were safe. However, this is how it seems to work out.

My question is..... has anyone seen this type of behavior?

I've seen it twice. Once in 1993 when a 1 1/2 6 pointer came in to one of my scent bombs, a 140" 3 1/2 followed behind and took over only to receive my broadhead. The other time was last night when a 1 1/2 4 point came on the scene with a big old, down hill 11 pointer, which I passed.

I don't see it too often but it's kind of cool to experience these things.

BTW, the first time I saw it, it was 2 years before the article came out.

Please let me know.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Satellite bucks?

I SAW THIS LAST NIGHT!

I am still kicking myself in the you know what for not shooting the little guy but i was greedy.

Long story short...Saw a "rack" coming throught he woods. I stood up, raised my bow and waited for it to come into good view and range. When it was in plain site it was a small six point (shooter in any mans book). I got ready to draw and then I spotted a BIG buck about 20 yard past him looking around causiosly. So here i was with a "decent" six point 15 yards and a HUGE (at least 8 point) about 50 yards. I THOUGHT the big guy would follow the little guy. Well he did... the little guy was now at 10 yards under my stand sniffing around... he never was alarmed, just didn't want to go any farther. So he turned around and walked back to the bigger buck that was still at about 45 yards and the both walked off together. If they had hand they would have been holding them. It was amazing.

Like i said, i am still kicking myself. But there is always another day. They never knew i was there so i know i can catch him again.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I have NOT seen it in person...BUT i have had freinds score nice buck's..after a small one comes bye..
Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

yea i saw this 1 time last year a small 6pt. walked out an then behind came a nice 10pt. however i missed him w/ my 20ga. but ohwell
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every now and then, I will see a big mature buck hanging with a very young buck here. Mostly in the summer. The big boy always seems tofollow the youngsters lead...as the younger buck leads the way out into a feeding area like a clearcut. I usually see the 2.5s and 3.5s bunched up in bachelor groups...but the big boys are either pure loaners or they pick up little dudes...1.5

I have never seen it after Mid Sept. I will see the young buck again, but alone.. For example the big 4x5 I watched all summer and am still hunting had a very wide racked young young ...buck hangin with him always..always leading the way ...Lately... Ive seenjust the young wide racked buck but without his big 4x5buddy in tow..
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 PM

I've never heard of that before.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Fork Horn

I have seen it before.
We have a yearling 3 point and a 2 year old 6 that are best buds.
They may not like each other as much in a week or so.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Bartender

Kind of like same thing he will let the doe's cruise through first. If I see a deer come through I am always looking behind it to see if another is hanging up especially the big guys.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: shed33

Every now and then, I will see a big mature buck hanging with a very young buck here. Mostly in the summer. The big boy always seems tofollow the youngsters lead...as the younger buck leads the way out into a feeding area like a clearcut. I usually see the 2.5s and 3.5s bunched up in bachelor groups...but the big boys are either pure loaners or they pick up little dudes...1.5

I have never seen it after Mid Sept. I will see the young buck again, but alone.. For example the big 4x5 I watched all summer and am still hunting had a very wide racked young young ...buck hangin with him always..always leading the way ...Lately... Ive seenjust the young wide racked buck but without his big 4x5buddy in tow..
That's interesting Troy, I saw it on Oct. 28th and Nov. 4th. On the Nov. sighting the little guys 6 point rack was all busted up. Must have gotten too close when the big guy was feeling aggressive. I saw the little guy a few weeks earlier, by himself, before his rack was busted up.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw this once a few years back. There was a big mature buck and a smaller buck(1.5/2.5) together on november 3rd. They went thru the woods rubbing and tearing things up, yet peacefully tolerating each other. I killed the big buck on the 5th, tailing a couple does by himself. THat was the only time I seen bucks together during that time of year.

Quick Reply: Satellite bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.