Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Satellite bucks?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 AM
Bartender

Default RE: Satellite bucks?

I just remembered something that happened back in 1984 my first year of gun hunting here in Wisconsin.
Me and my father came down this logging road in his bronco and came to where it cut through a small hill and this small little basket buck we callthem took off to the left. He says stop so I did and he tells me he is going to get out and wants me to turn around and go back up the big hill and wait 10 minutes then come back. So hegets out loads his gun tells me to leave and slams the door. So I turn around like he says and at the time I remember why in the heck did he slam his door he always yelled at me when I did that. So anyways no sooner I get up that hill I hear a gun shot but I still waited the 10 minutes. I get back and he says what took me so long to get back and I said you told me to wait 10 minutes. He said but I shot the buck in about 2 minutes and laughed.
Well he got a real nice 9 pointer that was standing on the right side of the logging road that had watched me leave and could not see my father in between the cut in the small hill.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see this all the time on my trail camera's. The smaller buck comes in then a couple minutes later The bigger one. I have also seen it in person I will see the small buck and 30 yards behind is the bigger one. I also have seen the smaller buck just roaming by himself.I don't think they are glued together they might just hang out at certain times.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:31 PM

very first year hunting, i had a muzzleloader in hand. double stand 12 foot off the ground with dad. i was 10 or 11 at the time. doe and fawn came through then about 15 to 20 minutes later this basket racked 8 point came cruising down the exact same trail not 15 yards from the stand. i raised the gun to let him have it and as i was pullin the trigger, dad says dont shoot, theres a monster. i look over and see the biggest clean 5x5 ive ever seen still ot this date step over the hill. this buck had it all and was well into the high 160s no exageration. huge mass, very very tall tines, and a very good spread. the PERFECT buck when you think of a typical whitetail. thats when buck fever kicked in. i started shakin so bad i could hardly breathe. as i was repostioning the gun over to the bigger buck, the two does that had passed through were circling back around to our stand again and snorted at me. one big bound later and the big boy was gone. i was torn up bad, especially after dad told me it was the biggest buck dad had ever seen in his entire life, and that i would likely never see a buck that impressive ever again.

so yea ive seen it...[:@]
Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

I have seen this, but only a few times. One of the times was January 1 of last year when i had a 1.5 6 pointer come in the area followed by a big 140" 9 pointer that also recieved my broadhead.

Like Troy, ive seen a lot of the 2.5 and the 3.5s hanging together, but when it comes to the BIG BOYS it seems they are alone or with a 1.5....interesting post
Old 10-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen this a few times troughout the years!

The biggest deer I've evershot, a5.5 10ptwas following a 1.5 4pt!(Nov 11th 1988)

I also have a friend who's daughter(first year hunting, 12 years old)shot a spike andthe11pt that was following it the 2nd weekend of MN gun season in 94!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our bigger deer are loners, but often times see 6/7/8's with spikes and 4's leading the way.