Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fred Bear, what a guy...

Old 10-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fred Bear, what a guy...

Can you not hunt with a bow during the gun season? Is it illegal?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Big Game Hunter Fred Bear remembers the moment clearly. It was 1933, the first day of the Michigan deer hunting season, and he was deep in the wilds of the Porcupine Mountains. "I crept out onto a creek bank," he recalls, "and about 100 yards upstream stood a deer. I raised my rifle and shot it. That was it; the season was just an hour old, and I already had my limit. Right there I decided to give up gun hunting. It was too darned easy."

Sounds like one (just one) of the reasons I gave up compound bowhunting. OK, I asked for it...........
Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vabowman you can use a bow during gun season if you want. You can also use a Blackpowder during gun season. Look at the regs. West of the Blue Ridge dogs aren't allowed to be used. Lots of public land here too. I left the coast 3 years ago and it's one of the best moves (pun intended) I ever made. I get to the beach just about as much as I did when I lived there and get in the mountains a bunch more than I used to. Besides the mountains are year-round attractions while the beach is only 6 months, less if you work. It's not that long a haul. My friends used to go from VA Beach to WV and back all in one day just so they could ski!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:37 PM

My brother is afarm manager in the mts. it is awsome. Got too much that keeps mehere though, kids, in-laws, bla...bla...bla... I was under the impression that archery season ends on nov16 in the eastern part of the state and does not come back in. I know there is a late bow season in the mts. And I know we can use black powder during our gun season here, but the bow season is closed after the nov. 16 date. I will check though.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

You can use a bow during the gun season, VA. We used to NOT be able to hunt with a bow during ML season, here.....but now we can. I hunt from 9/8 through the season with a bow.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

you do know Fred Bear was against compounds being allowed in archery season, right ?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I met Fred Bear in the late70's at a show. He was a super nice guy, very fun to talk. On another note I have never killed a big game animal with a gun, after killing my first deer with a bow several years ago I never saw the need to gun huntand after --- bow kills I still feel the same way

Dan
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Here where I live in southeast Va, we have only one archery season. Oct 6 or 7 to Nov. 15 or 16. Then it is all gun until the season isall over. We are pretty much forced to gun hunt if we want to hunt the entire deer season. this includes the use of dogs. we have huge hunt clubs anywhere from 1000 acrs to 25,000 acrs. All of them hunt with dogs including my club. I would rather hunt with a bow, but dog hunting is the norm here and has been for a long time. I enjoy hearing the dogs and the guys are fun to hunt with, but it doesn't come close to bowhunting. What Im saying is, deer go noc-turnal almost instantly if you hunt where dogs are run.. that is how it is...
You ought to read the laws man. We have the option of using a bow the entire deer season.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:44 PM

Early Archery Season
October 6-November 16: statewide
Late Archery Seasons
December 3-January 5:
[ul][*]In all areas west of the Blue Ridge (except Clarke and Floyd counties and on private lands in Frederick County). [*]In the counties (including the cities and towns within) of Amherst (west of Rt. 29), Bedford, Campbell (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), and Nelson (west of Rt. 151). [*]On the Chester F. Phelps WMA and on National Forest lands in Frederick County. [/ul]
December 1-January 5:
[ul][*]In the cities of Chesapeake, Suffolk (east of the Dismal Swamp line), and Virginia Beach. [/ul]
December 17-January 5:
[ul][*]In the counties (including the cities and towns within) of Floyd, Franklin, Henry, Patrick, and Pittsylvania (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad). [/ul]
Urban Archery Deer Seasons
September 15-October 5 and January 7-March 29
[ul][*]Within the incorporated limits of the cities of Colonial Heights, Danville, Emporia, Franklin, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Radford, Richmond, Winchester and the towns of Altavista, Amherst, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Farmville, Independence, Purcellville, Richlands, Rocky Mount, Tazewell, West Point and in Fairfax County. [*]During these seasons only antlerless deer may be taken. [*]Lists of properties available for hunting are not maintained by the Department or local governments. [*]Go to the Urban Archery Season page on this Web site for local restrictions and other urban archery information. [/ul]
Legal Methods and Restrictions During Archery Deer Seasons
Special
Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM

I can't find anywhere that says we can hunt in the following counties with a bow during gun season, chesterfield, prince george, surry, brunswick etc.. basically anything that is not in the urban archery areas or in the Mountains.. It says nothing about using a bow in the areas I mentioned.. help me find please, I want to hunt with my bow on three peices of land that will not be touched by dogs!!

Quick Reply: Fred Bear, what a guy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.