Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long should I wait???

Old 10-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long should I wait???

I hit a pretty good buck @ 7:24. He put on a great show before I took a 25 yards shot.

He was "slightly" quartering to me and I was sure I could get both lungs. Well I did not!! I smacked him square in the shoulder. I was using an Xbow so my arrow is only 20 inches long but he looked to have better than ten inches into him would should have done some major lung damage.

My biggest concern is that without an exit I may have limited blood. Hopefully he loses the arrow which might help. I think the deer is dead nowwhich is 2 hours later. HOW long would you wait?? I am concerned that we have a big wind blowing with lots of leaves dropping which can make an old blood trail tough to work. ARG!!!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long should I wait???

So what do you think you hit? Single lung? Single lung/liver? How high did the bolt enter him? Where you in a stand?

To tell you the truth, if I think I only got a single lung no liver, I would have gotton on him after about 20 minutes. But this is an extremely hard track job.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Give him 4 hours..if he's dead he'll still be dead. Good Luck can't wait to see pics.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

blowing leaves should not be that much of a problem....I would go out around noon. He would be either dead or long gone by then depending on arrow penetration. Its not like you hit him in the guts. Dont wait too late...you want daylight to do the hard tracking you will have.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Its a tough call, how much blood was there at the sight of impact or shortly after. That general area can give you a lot of information on exactly how you should go about recovering your deer. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quartering too shoulda waited for the correct shot. Then you wouldn't be waiting now. Sorry for the bashing but ya know.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think the wind will be much of a problem. Todays weather in MA in pretty good. No rain in the forecast. I would give him a few hours. Its going to be a tough track job. Probably very little blood especially to start. You say you hit him in the shoulder, so he should be having a hard time walking. Look for drag marks and turned over leaves and dirt.

How did he react after the shot? Was he favoring his shoulder?

Good Luck
Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Slightly" quartering to and I was sure I could get both lungs or at the very least one lung and liver. I really like high percentage ethical shots and sure thought this was one of them.
I did not look for blood I just waited a half hour before backing out. I was in a tree stand but he was on a slight rise so the angle of the arrow make me think I got at least one lung and maybe some live. I know if he dropped the arrow pretty quick then I should get good lung blood. I just don't know yet how far I'm gonna have to look to find a blood trail. Can be tricky with the arrow still in him.He got into the woods so quickly it tough to say how much he was showing the shot in his gait.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Xbows are different than compounds and expect that you get better penetration with them. Wasn't trying to take anything away from you on your decisions I was just saying. I am sure you will find him but would give him plenty of time to expire. And good luck and don't forget yer camera...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope to hear a great report (with pics) this afternoon. Good hunting! (Now is when the real hunting begins.)

Quick Reply: How long should I wait???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.