Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can deer identify scents as danger?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Default can deer identify scents as danger?

last night, i was setup in my treestand, and seen a nice buck, one field over. walking down the edge of the corn in a mowed bean field. tonight i set up to try and get a shot at it. i have a perfect spot already made from months ago, a nice little hollowed outopening in an evergreen treeline, with excellent cover on both sides (first time this spot was hunted this year). so im prone, looking under the lowest limb, scanning the bean field, im on the South East corner, and there is a WNW wind coming on my face. i see some movement and its only a doe, i call it a few times, one lost call, two grunts i think, it turns and starts walking toward me. briskly. great im thinking, smell checking the whole way, not missing a step, it gets within about 45 yards and starts to hesistate, gets a little nervous, it starts throwing his nose up trying to sniff me, but couldnt. walks to about 35 yards and by this point im standing, and my bow is in my hands. all of the sudden it starts snorting/wheezing and starts acting loopy. kinda turns in circles, then snorts some more.. leaps into the air and prances back 5 yards, and continues to do this 5 or 6 times..... HOW?!? how did it smell me?? he was never closer than 35 yards, upwind, maybe 5-8 mph... im in a row of evergreens that are so pungent i have a headache, all my gear was washed less than 48 hours prior and my gear was hanging on the clothes line all day! i showered with odor eliminating soap ( scent killer), and had hunters specialty earth scent cover on. my gear was transported in a rubbermaid and was never inside my truck.... you dont think my gear was the problem either right? soooo, about 2 weeks ago, i missed a shot from my treestand on a doe, similar looking about 3000 feet away in the same field... and that night i had trails end 307 setup around me... tonight as well.... can dear 'learn' or identify a scent with danger?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:11 PM

Default RE: can deer identify scents as danger?

yes they can tell they r very intelligent animals
Old 10-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

You said yourself the deer was UPwind of you.

She didn't smell you. She might have SEEN you.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:20 PM

i stood up when it was looking behind it... i was in dark camo even with a bellacalava with lots of evergreen limbs in front of me... once i stood up, it continued moving towards me..... this was about 6:40 tonight and there was alot of shadows inside this evergreen strip i was in... i had quite a limited shooting lane out of it...

it was upwind... but the wind was calm....
Old 10-28-2007, 05:22 PM

maybe it did... i dunno... it was the first night in that spot... perhaps i looked out of place?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2007, 05:27 PM

i hear ya droptine... it approached from the west, i entered the treeline from the SE.... no more trails end at that field then.