Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Things are looking up

Old 10-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default Things are looking up

This morning was my third hunt in Ill, first morning hunt. I saw two 3 1/2s, a 120s 8 point and a 110 7 point. I first spotted the 8 point about 35 yards from me across the creek. As I shifted my weight in the stand while glimpsing him through the binos, it made a creak and got his attention. He crossed the creek and came to investigate. He walked by me broadside at 14 yards. He meandered around for a bit then wandered along the creek to my right. I heard him grunt twice. About 10 minutes later he came back with his friend, the 7 pointer. They came by me again going off to my left. I had them both at 8 yards and passed. I was actually hiding on them. I saw the 7 point wander off to the south of me but did not see the 8 point. I thought he must have made his way up the bank and into the corn. About 5 minutes later, I heard something behind me and slowly turned my head to see the 8 point sniffing my entrance trail! I froze and watched him lose the trail the take off where the 7 point had gone, whew! I gave it a 1/2 hour then got down and snuck out of there. I saw both of these bucks last year when they were 2 1/2s. It's cool that they are still around. I'm going back out this evening on the other end of the property to see what's happening down there. I'm holding off for something bigger.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Things are looking up

Ya...the natives are getting restless. Let us know what you see tonight. I'm going to start all day sits in several days myself.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Spike

Hey Greg,

That was an exciting morning. I haven't had that kind of action yet here in southern Illinois! To be honest with you the deer down here are really just starting to move. I haven't seen any nice bucks only a little 3 point we affectionaly call " Mr. Nubbins". He crusies through now and then. I hunted last wednesday and thursday on my day off and got busted four times by does! Can you believe it they caught me twice walking in on separate sides of the woods and then got busted while I was sitting in my climber. I climbed up high in the tree with a good wind and they still managed to see me! Two of the does were feeding on the leaves of a small tree and saw me when they lifted their heads to eat. I couldn't believe it. Oh well, that is what makes hunting fun. I really had to laugh at the whole thing. Good luck this season.

79 Bronco

Rob
Old 10-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good morning. We also had about a 110" 3.5 7 pointer come by us today. He is one that need to be taken out, but Shawn is also holding out for something bigger.

Things are just now gettin started so once the rut really gets going im sure we will see a few that are a lot bigger.

Good luck Greg!