Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too Late for Mock Scrapes in PA?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:02 AM
Host of Hosts

Default Too Late for Mock Scrapes in PA?

Just wondering if any of you guys are using mock scrapes in Pa. You know the bags that drip during daylight?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too Late for Mock Scrapes in PA?

The bags DON'T just drip in the daytime and have never worked for me. They drip when they want!! Now if they made one with a timer that really did freshen a scrape at 6:AM everyday I sure would be psyched.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

i found an area last year that had like 5 scrapes within 20yds of eachother...honey hole right??

bought on of the dripper kits and went in during a storm...pouring rain. already as scent free as could be, i was hunting. hung it..came back a week later and the scrapes were all abandoned

dont know what was up with that. the dripper also had a good bit of scent left...should been empty..think they last a week or something...dont know if he busted me, didnt like the scent or what...it WAS kinda early i suppose, but he had scrapes and rubs goin like mad in the area...who knows....

planter might be on to something...that would be AWESOME. something with a timer or something you could set to drop scent right at a specified time daily...but then again i wonder if the buck wouldnt get smart and sit there waiting hours before and after?? still might work better than the drippers...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i found an area last year that had like 5 scrapes within 20yds of eachother...honey hole right??

bought on of the dripper kits and went in during a storm...pouring rain. already as scent free as could be, i was hunting. hung it..came back a week later and the scrapes were all abandoned

dont know what was up with that. the dripper also had a good bit of scent left...should been empty..think they last a week or something...dont know if he busted me, didnt like the scent or what...it WAS kinda early i suppose, but he had scrapes and rubs goin like mad in the area...who knows....

planter might be on to something...that would be AWESOME. something with a timer or something you could set to drop scent right at a specified time daily...but then again i wonder if the buck wouldnt get smart and sit there waiting hours before and after?? still might work better than the drippers...
I think the scrapes you saw were possibly satellite/boundary scrapes. I have seen bucks makes lot of them and leave them alone. They are usually around early on and into pre-rut some. Or maybe you are right. All that ammonaia and crap that they put into those dripper scents stinks up something nasty.[:-]
Old 10-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Host of Hosts

So I gather noone makes any scrapes at all?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not using scents or lures this year, and I'm going to limit my calling as well. After listening to some of the guys on here and from past experience, I believe the more you use scents/calls, the more you are educating deer. Like Rob said to someone on here the other day, for scents to be effective (I use the word effective to say that the deer will smell it), the deer need to be downwind of the scent and they will come in downwind, so again when using scents you have to be all the more cautious of your scent. There's really no magic potion to get deer to you in my opinion. You need to find where the deer are, and at this time of year it's between bedding areas/food sources does are using. Putting yourself in the right spot along with some patience is usually all you need. Now if a buck is passing out of range, I will certainly give a grunt or two to try to bring him in closer, but I don't but scent out anymore, nor do I rattle anymore (too high of a buck:doe ration anyways).
Old 10-27-2007, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

I'm not using scents or lures this year, and I'm going to limit my calling as well. After listening to some of the guys on here and from past experience, I believe the more you use scents/calls, the more you are educating deer. Like Rob said to someone on here the other day, for scents to be effective (I use the word effective to say that the deer will smell it), the deer need to be downwind of the scent and they will come in downwind, so again when using scents you have to be all the more cautious of your scent. There's really no magic potion to get deer to you in my opinion. You need to find where the deer are, and at this time of year it's between bedding areas/food sources does are using. Putting yourself in the right spot along with some patience is usually all you need. Now if a buck is passing out of range, I will certainly give a grunt or two to try to bring him in closer, but I don't but scent out anymore, nor do I rattle anymore (too high of a buck:doe ration anyways).

We think a lot alike. Live and learn.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scent usage in Mock Scrapes continues to be one of THE most effective strategies I use regularly. For getting close to bucks, there is NO better strategy I employ. I will use Mock Scrapes right up until the first Does enter Estrus and then possibly again after the bulk of the Does have been bred. Mocks are also THE best way of collecting trail cam photos. Good luck and good huntin'