Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yet another scent lock question......

Old 10-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Yet another scent lock question......

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I not only use one layer I use 3. Why not? Got to wear clothes and layers work well for me.The cost is really a none issue. All good clothes cost andI'm a good shopper. They are quality clothes with or without the scent elimination. If it's got it all the better andagain ya got'a wear clothes that keep you warm and dry and they do. There's no down side is there? The weave is so tight they block the cold winds well with a light fabric. That's a good thing isn't it?
Yes nodog I agree with you on that. The camo is still camo and it makes for good clothing either way. But the theory behind it is what I was wondering about. If you believe in it, then the first layer should be all you need right? The stuff works doesnt' it?
Sure but it has a recommended life span. The clothes are still good and the good deals are hard to find. Bought my first set of Dakota fleese a few years ago for 40 bucks a piece. A pair of insulated bibs the next year for 40 bucks. Various under garments that claim scent control since and another Dakota fleece coat this year for 50 bucks. So I just keep adding a layer. Since the first layer I haven't felt the need for more so I guess I'd say, your right. One is enough.

What has been your experience with the stuff? Has the stuff worked for you?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure to be honest with you. Actually I dont' think anyone knows for sure except the deer. I have some scent-lok stuff because I happened to like a particular pair of pants, a shirt, mask, etc... Didnt' buy it strictly because it was scent lok. More or less because I liked the garment.

I've been killing deer long before scent lok has come around. I would consider myself a scent freak. I wash my clothes almost daily in scent free detergent. Shower in scent free. Spray before heading to the woods. Wipe down all my gear with scent free wipes, etc...... And I actually have scent lok baselayer because i liked the way they fit and the moisture wicking.

I'm not bashing scent lok. The concept of the outer layer just doesn't make sense to me. It's like they're saying in case our stuff doesn't work the first time, you should have this layer too so hopefully that will catch it.[:-]
Old 10-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not bashing scent lok. The concept of the outer layer just doesn't make sense to me. It's like they're saying in case our stuff doesn't work the first time, you should have this layer too so hopefully that will catch it.[:-]
They are in the business of selling stuff.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

On the pretense of making you 100% "scent free"
Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

On the pretense of making you 100% "scent free"
I don't get that from this, "Scent-Lok is an extremely effective tool in making you a better hunter". They even have a question about being winded while wearing the stuff. Seem to highly recommend sprays.

Their page is pretty good. Didn't know that many camos don't require uvblocker soap because they don't use uv dyes.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forget the wind just hunt.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Forget the wind just hunt.

Forget the wind and just hunt small game.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

because people always think more is better and it gives the company an opportunity to sell more products
Old 10-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Spike

Activated carbon can only be reactivated at 800 to 1200 degrees how hot does your dryer at home get? This stuff doesn't work.