Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

on the property lane and you see a big deer ten feet across it

Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: on the property lane and you see a big deer ten feet across it

Same topic, different situation..........

My wife's Aunt and Uncle finally gave us permission to hunt their 17 acre piece. This land has not been hunted in 5-8 years and the deer are everywhere. We did not have to travel far from the house to set up a Doghouse and throw out some bait so my 13 year old could get her first deer. When you step out of our blindm turn around and you are looking right at the back of their garage, literally 50 yards straight line. Last Sunday morning, I get a surprise visitor, who scares the heck out of me, reems me out and tells me I am trespassing on their property. (The neighbor owns 440 acres). I am a bit confused on this and p'd off since I know where the back property marker is as well as the front. I am well within our property.
Wrong, somehow the survey does a wierd left right jag just behind the garage and put me on the neighbors property by 4 feet. I apoligized many times and asked permission to keep our pop up there and was told no. I said I understood and would move it.
I get this guy on a civil conversation and we talk about deer movement. He tells me he has a treestand only 40 yards back from where our pop up was set up......... Here is about where I lost it, he tells me that this is his gun stand and when the leaves are down he can shoot all the way across the old baseball field when the bucks come out of the river bottom........

The field is our property, not his. I didn't know what to say to this guy without totally losing it. this kind of person makes me want to vomit re eat it and vomit again. The more I think about this the madder I get. He had to trespass our property to find our pop up in the first place.

I did do the right thing though, I moved totally across the property right to the top of the ridge above the river bottom, just off the old field, right where he thought he would be shooting this season.

You see a honest mistake of 4 feet, dug this guy a mile hole. We will definitely be monitoring all gun season to see if he takes a shot across and charges will be filed immediately...........
Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would pull out my trusty grunt call and say in the sexiest doe grunt you ever herd, Come over here lover boy, you want some of this!!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry, you forgot to mention the part where you spenta little private time spooning with the deer! lol
Old 10-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Had something like that several years ago. It was during a speical Refuge hunt. I saw the biggest buck I had every seen in the wild. He had 14 points and I would say 180 plus. He was 40 yards away in the no hunting zone. I just watched. No deer is worth getting arrested for.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I would be tempted, but I wouldn't do it. In fact, I wouldn't even set up that close to the property line just because I don't want to put myself in that position. It's the same reason alot of married guys avoid strip clubs. The temptation to do the wrong thing is there. It's best just to avoid that temptation and not hunt right on the property line.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 AM

If you knowingly place yourself in the pathof temptation, don't be suprised when you succumb to it. For some, resisting temptation is easy, for others it is not. Find out which you are and place your stand accordingly to keep yourself out of trouble.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

No, it's not my property and I don't have permission. No deer will ever be worth losing my license, even temporarily.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on my circumstances, I would admit to temptation in that scenario.

One spot adjoining our land is kind of no-man's land due to geography and is unhunted timber company land,
while another section is bordered by some cattle rancher who own thousands of acres, who don't really
hunt much and would probably be happy for us if we took a nice deer.

If I'm bowhunting this is not a real temptation because I don't hunt close enough to take a shot across
the property line. Reminds me of the expression "Lord, lead me not to temptation, I can find it myself."

Old 10-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Our neighbors have been our neighbors for over 100 years and they could care less. It would be a dead deer in my situation but that's MY situation. I understand everybody else'sopinion although I feel the temptation for some would be more than what they let on.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:14 AM

90% of ethics is avoiding a problem situation before it occurs. I would not be hunting that close to a property line without permission to hunt the other side. No good is going to come out of hunting 10 foot from a property line.

Quick Reply: on the property lane and you see a big deer ten feet across it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.