Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

on the property lane and you see a big deer ten feet across it

Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: on the property lane and you see a big deer ten feet across it

Thats easy for me...the property next to ours is a different county. My permit is only good for my county/property. No Shot!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoormafiaKP

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter
I do believe there are people who would take that shot, but I don't think they usually frequent this forum.
I think you may be surprised... You may have missed the thread about how many people would knowingly trespass to retrieve a downed deer. I'm not by any means saying these two hypothetical situations are the same, but if one does the first, who's to say he or she may not do the other?

I can admit that I would be tempted to take the shot. Tempted is key here. Who wouldn't want to take that deer, if of course he/she was up to your own personal standards. There isn't a person here that wouldn't be saying to himseld "c'mon, a few more yards and your mine!" Everyone understand what I'm saying here? The temptation will be there for each of us in varying degrees...period.
Well said, burbaust.

again, well stated.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

In West Virginia, it would be perfectly legal to take this buck without the landowner's permission UNLESS the land was posted or fenced.

That said however, in hunting this close to the property line you should have realized that this was likely going to occur. Do the right thing and go get permisson. That avoids all problems and it likely that the landowner will have more respect for you for asking.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do believe there are people who would take that shot, but I don't think they usually frequent this forum.
I think you may be surprised... You may have missed the thread about how many people would knowingly trespass to retrieve a downed deer. I'm not by any means saying these two hypothetical situations are the same, but if one does the first, who's to say he or she may not do the other?

I can admit that I would be tempted to take the shot. Tempted is key here. Who wouldn't want to take that deer, if of course he/she was up to your own personal standards. There isn't a person here that wouldn't be saying to himseld "c'mon, a few more yards and your mine!" Everyone understand what I'm saying here? The temptation will be there for each of us in varying degrees...period.
Well said, burbaust.
Here it is totally legal to track a shot deer (unarmed) that goes onto someone else's property. If the other land owner tries to stop you, you call DNR and they come out, educate them on the law, and assist you in retrieving the deer. If your state does not allow that, then that's a different story.

As far as temptation, I would be screaming in my head for that deer to step across onto my property. And for days afterwards if it didn't I'd be back there hoping it would come back 11' closer. But I wouldn't take the shot. Just as I would expect the other land owner would respect the wildlife crossing my property.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

get permission
Old 10-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gobblegetterNY

Well said, burbaust.

again, well stated.
+3 and again, very well said.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually had a booner back in 2003, 30 yards from me and 20 yards into another hunters paradise. I did not shoot.. but did draw back.

I have long since hated my moral virtue...[:@]
Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

had the exact same scene about 2 weeks ago, was at full draw on a nice ten point hoping he would cross over, but he didnt and my ethnics wouldnt allow me that shot. So he lived on.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 PM
bigcountry

I would definatley pop the monster. Maybe even liver gut shoot it, to make sure it runs far onto at least 5 other peoples property so I could ruin thier hunt too, as I illegially track it across thier land. Maybe down a 5th of liquor on the way back and of course litter it. Then when someone yells at em, I just wack em up side the head to add assult and battery to the list. Then take a good dump in a good scrape they been hunting. Then after drag it back, forget it about it and cut off the rackand let the meat rot. And lastly, not check it in. It would be a full day. But not over, as I take a bass drum in beating it all afternoon while trespassing.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: gobblegetterNY

Well said, burbaust.

again, well stated.
+3 and again, very well said.
Thank you all. I appreciate the good words.

And to AF Hunter, that's my point exactly. Everyone here would be saying the dirtiest four letter words imaginable waiting for that deer to cross, and unfortunately some would take the shot presented. I've read many of your posts and know you are all about integrity and honor, I know you'd do as you say on this. I respect that, and the others who can also truthfully do what they say as well. What I was also getting at, is that there are probably people on here who do differently than they say here...and they have to live themselves and the consequences of doing such. Sad but true.

Quick Reply: on the property lane and you see a big deer ten feet across it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.