Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok... after you find your deer?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ok... after you find your deer?

How do you take care of getting it out of the woods? DO you gut it there or do you gut itaway fromthere. Do you try to do the best you can sneaking back out of the woods or do you just light up the woods with flashlights and drag? How bad do you thing bloodtrails and gutpiles and ll this effect geer?
I personally try to be as quiet as possible dragging my deer out, I use no flashlights unless needed, and always gut the animal away from the woods. Just curious as to what you all do and if you think you effect the deer and for how long?
Tim
Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok... after you find your deer?

We got the deer where they lay, so we have no affect of spoiling to the meat. We get the deer out of the woods as fast as possible and try not to tromps around too much, but you need to get it done.

On another note, I have hunted out of a stand in which my father shot and cleaned a buck the day previous. Deer came on the same deer trail, walked over the gut pile, and had little to no effect on them.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM

Well....to be honest. Ive shot a deer. got down from my tree gutted it right there no farther then 15 yards from my tree. drug it out to the field, less then 50yards away. Went back, got into my tree and shot another deer walking right through where I gutted the first one. Since then I pay no attention, plus in my neck of the woods, the foxes and coyotes are through with the gut pile before you can say gutpile. Dont worry to much about it.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually I will gut the animal where it is and then drag the deer to an opening so I can get my quad in there to haul it out.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:42 AM

I don't think that blood and gut piles have a negative effect on deer at all. As a matter of fact, I think it can help you at times. I had a doe with 2 fawns come in one night, and while they were walking away, they hit the blood trail from a doe I had shot 4 days earlier. This just made them curious, and they followed the trail for about 30 yadrs, then turned around and followed it right back to my stand. I wasn't going to shoot any of them, but if I had wanted to, the blood actually brought themback in and gave me another opportunity.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I drag it away from my prime hunting ground. I then take it home, quarter it and hang it in a fridge to age. After 5 to 7 days, I butcher it.

As for the effect of guts on the ground. I dont think it bothers the deer, im more concerned in attracting preditors, who will leave their stink in the area, causing the deer to change their normal routs.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buck or doe, regardless of where I am hunting, it gets gutted where it falls.

Doe with an easy drag, I won’t bother to take my gear back to the truck 1st, I’ll just get her out. I'm not fast, but I am not real careful regarding noise either.

Doe with a medium drag and up, gear goes back to the truck, & sometimes I can bring the truck to her(or at least closer), if not, I at least can just drag her without the gear.

Buck regardless of drag, 45 phone calls & texts from stand to friends & family. Notification and request for help if possible to Dad. Snap some quick pics. Gut deer. Take gear back to truck, get tripod & camera. Take pics. Drag deer out. Take more pics before loading into truck. Get home, take even more pics & then start the skinning.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

My crew and I usually wait till dark, go in with lights and everything else necessary, gut it, drag it to the nearest trail, go in with the 4 wheeler and get out. Ten mins were back home sippin coffee. We like to get in, get the job done and get out!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally try to be as quiet as possible dragging my deer out, I use no flashlights unless needed, and always gut the animal away from the woods.?
Tim
This is exactly what i do but as far as hunting the same stand or area? I alway`s try to give it atleast a week maby two?

Quick Reply: Ok... after you find your deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.