Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt Again or Wait?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:56 AM
Host of Hosts

Default Hunt Again or Wait?

Ok, Here's my question. I went out yesterday to a farm about 45 minutes to an hour from home. I sat from 3:00 to almost 7:00. It was pretty dark in the woods, but at the edge of the field I was close to it was still kinda light enough to see deer sillouettes. Anyway I get to the field(soybeans) and there are 20 deer between me and my truck which is parked next to a gas well. I could see the deer were alert that my truck was there, but not too nervous. I didn't want to shoot anything at over 30 yards in this light and so I proceeded to film for a little while. Turns out the first 6 minutes I didn't get due to user error, but then I got about 6 additional minutes of film. Anyway as I'm watching these deer 3 others snuck up to me within 15 yards and when I bent down to set down my bow they saw me and bolted. I never knew they were there. So that alerted the others, but not to the extent that they fled. By this time I was shaking pretty bad from not moving and staying still so long that I had to take a few steps to get behind a tree. I made it to the tree without the deer noticing, but when I leaned up to the tree I accidentally hit the remote start button on my remote in my pocket and my truck started. That was it. The deer took of in all directions.

My question.... Should I wait to hunt there again for a few days or go back in today in a slightly different location that is closer to the edge of the field. I can hide the truck better so they can't see it. I was a little too deep in the woods and these deer didn't take the usual trails the the food source. They took another route that i didn't expect. I can get a better vantage point, but I don't want to turn them nocturnal. They already came out a little later than I like to shoot. I don't want them comming out any later.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunt Again or Wait?

Deer are use to cars, if they didn't bust you in your stand, I wouldn't worry to much about it. You may have actually helped yourself out if you go hunt tonight. They may come out a little farther down which is where I would guess you are set up.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Host of Hosts

Thanks I gues your the only guy wanting to give up info. Must be top secret stuff I'm asking about[&:]
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

Thanks I gues your the only guy wanting to give up info. Must be top secret stuff I'm asking about[&:]
Sorry PA, no it's not that it's top secret but its tough to sit here and assess a situation that you saw first hand.

But my thoughts would be..you are on, obviously, and excellant destination food source. Perhaps you need to move back closer to where these deer are coming from. Try catching them in the woods moving towards the soy, rather than in the soy itself. By thetime they hit the fielddarkness is near and most/any of thebetter bucks are waiting in the trees for the cover of darkness.

Secondly if you bumped your remote and started your car, You are parking too close. Believe it or not deer will pattern you by your vehicle. (trust me I battle this on one of my local farms). Park farther away and you may have better luck.

Just my 2 cents on your post!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Host of Hosts

Sorry PA, no it's not that it's top secret but its tough to sit here and assess a situation that you saw first hand.

But my thoughts would be..you are on, obviously, and excellant destination food source. Perhaps you need to move back closer to where these deer are coming from. Try catching them in the woods moving towards the soy, rather than in the soy itself. By thetime they hit the fielddarkness is near and most/any of thebetter bucks are waiting in the trees for the cover of darkness.

Secondly if you bumped your remote and started your car, You are parking too close. Believe it or not deer will pattern you by your vehicle. (trust me I battle this on one of my local farms). Park farther away and you may have better luck.
I can certainly park further away, but my remote will work up to 500 yards. I was back in the woods , but I wasn't on the trails they chose to use this time. I usually always seen them coming out on where I was set up, but this time they came in another set of trails. I'll try again...Thanks for the 2 cents.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM

I agree see where they are entering the field, or "Gestimate" set up just inside there and GR8 is exactly right, if your hunting buck, this is where you will get a chance at a buck waiting to come into the feild under darkness. And being its getting close to the rut, they may get a little anxious and come out a little earlier which means perfect shooting hours for you. As far as remote start, put your keys under a fender, on top of a tire or in the bed or something. Youve got insurance if its stolen right I never carry that kinda stuff in the woods with me, not keys or my wallet. But to think you're going to stalk withing bow distance in the field during legal hunting hours is slim. Your best best is to get set up near where they are coming out. Not right on the exact trail they are coming out of but close. Good luck and let us know how you make out.