Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

proficiency testing

Old 10-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default proficiency testing

In my state there are certain areas that are bow hunting only, mostly on the islands where it is more populated with people . There you have to take a proficiency test issued by the state to be able to hunt there. It is good for two years then it would have to be renewed.Although i don't hunt there i take the test just on the outside chance i might but mostly to show land owners that i am certafied by the state that i am an expert marksman . It helps when asking permission to hunt their land . I come across to many peoplethat take up the sport at the last minute or don't practice and make crapy shots.do think it would be a good idea to have a mandatory test to be able to get a liscence every where or would this be to much of a problem for the state or the hunters ?I would be for it as to weed out the people that don't want to put in the time to make ethical shots
Old 10-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Default RE: proficiency testing

What exactly does the test consist of? I kinda like the idea myself.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's a great idea that will never happen because it would cost too much money. The DNR is hurting for money as it is. Revenues are down, and they want to raise license fees. If you had a proficiency test, you would definitely sell fewer licenses, AND it would cost the DNR alot of money to administer the program. So it will never happen even though that would be great if it did. We'd have fewer slob hunters and fewer wounded animals.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am certain it would be hard on the state, but we already have mandatory bowhunter safety in NY. You have to shoot in the class to show you know how. I wouldn't necessarily call it a proficiency test (and you don't have to retake it), but it is a start in the right direction.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out this thread as to why we should have a test.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2398149
Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The test isn't that hard you have to show up with 5 arrrows with broad heads and put 3 of them in the kill zone on a simulated deer while the state watches and determines if it is a good shot or notfrom 20 yards away . Basicly you need to put it in a 6 inch circle from 20 yards . I wouldn't mind if they would put it back further
Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 PM

I like the idea, like qzq38 said maybe we would have fewer slob hunters out there.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

The last thing I want is the Govt. wanting another thing from me. I could care less if Billy Bob three teeth shoots a 16 point buck in the sac and he comes over and beds under my stand.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys

You cannot legislate stupidity
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

the problem is they don't usualy do that ,they run off to diea slow death and are never recovered .

Quick Reply: proficiency testing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.